Insert Measure Stack destroys the rest of the score!

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

joangoodyear
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by joangoodyear » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:25 am

When I use "insert measure stack" to insert one measure into the middle of my score, the rest of it is totally screwed up. Spacing is way off, staves are shown that were previously hidden, etc. HELP!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:12 am

It sounds like you are working in page view, formatting and hiding staves as you go. If you're doing that, then inserting a measure will do exactly as you've found, as measures get pushed into (and out of) hidden staves.

My recommendation would be to work in scroll view. After you have all of your notes in place, then you can switch to page view and hide staves as needed. Formatting should be the last step of the process.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:22 am

miker wrote:…Formatting should be the last step of the process.
+1!
You should take Mike’s advice very seriously as it is a very good advice.

Do not work on the layout until you have entered all the music.

Also, when working on the layout, it might be a good idea to lock a system when you have finished that system’s layout.
In that way measures should not flow in and out of the system.
To make the system locks work you should tell Finale to “maintain system locks when reflowing measures”.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

joangoodyear
Finale Version: 2014

Post by joangoodyear » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately I had already put in everything and formatted it and was going back through to double check, when I realized I missed one bar. Replies were helpful though, and I discovered that locking the systems but removing the page breaks is helpful. For some reason the page breaks are problematic.
Thanks again!