Expression shapes all end up the same length

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

navigator11111
Finale Version: 2002a.R1
Operating System: Windows

Post by navigator11111 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:46 pm

When I assign crescendo and decrescendo markings through expressions-shapes, after customizing the lengths according to the note values it looks great. Then when I press Ctrl-U to update the display all the crescendos or diminuendos are the same length as the last one I entered. How do I keep the edited lengths when I update and save the document. Driving me crazy.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:29 pm

Welcome to the forum!

If I understand you correctly, you are using the Expression Tool to enter crescendo and diminuendo hairpins, right?
And you need the different occurrences to have different lengths, right?

1) From your description it sounds like you are using the same shape in multiple occurrences.
Thus, when you edit the shape, all the occurrences of that shape get edited.
To get different lengths, use different (duplicate) copies of the shape.
As a shortcut you can assign a metatool to the shape expression, and then enter the expression by using the metatool.
Every time you enter the expression via a metatool, Finale will automatically enter a duplicate copy of the expression => the lengths can be edited individually.

2) I wonder why you are using the Expression Tool to enter crescendos and diminuendos.
Why are you not using the Smart Shape Tool?
Would it not be easier with the Smart Shape Tool?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

navigator11111

Post by navigator11111 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I am a self-taught Finale user since 1998, and STILL have plenty to earn.

navigator11111

Post by navigator11111 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 pm

When I click on the Smart Shape button, the only option I get is slurs. Oooops - found it in Tools. Thank you.