font selection won't "take" in lyrics

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mcsugarfree
Finale Version: 2012Mac
Operating System: Windows

Post by mcsugarfree » Sun May 15, 2016 8:07 pm

I'm trying to enter figures (figured bass) using these instructions: https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fin ... d_bass.htm

Except I can't seem to select the "Finale numerics" font. Or, rather, I can select it using the drop down "font" menu under TEXT or using the "font settings" dialogue but the new font ("Finale numerics") doesn't seem to "take"--when I go to enter figures using the Lyrics tool I just get plain old Times New Roman (which doesn't work for figures, obviously).

What am I doing wrong? [Finale 2012, MacBook Pro, 10.9.5]

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun May 15, 2016 10:23 pm

It didn't take for me, either, until I went into Document Options and set the Lyric font to Finale Numerics. Even then, I still had to reset the font in the Text menu once or twice. Eventually, though, it stuck.

IIRC, I've had this trouble with other fonts, as well. I think it's something funky in the Lyric tool. If it's any consolation, it's just as bad in 2014.5.
Attachments
figured_bass.png
figured_bass.png (133.84 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

mcsugarfree
Finale Version: 2012Mac
Operating System: Windows

Post by mcsugarfree » Mon May 16, 2016 3:15 pm

Thanks! That worked, with this caveat: each time I clicked on the note to which I wanted to add figures _after_ I'd gone through the font selection process, the font would revert to TNR. In order to get Finale numerics to "stick," I needed to:

1) click on the note to which I wanted to add figures (with Lyrics tool selected)
2) select 'Finale numerics' as my font of choice (using the "Font Settings" dialogue)
3) start entering figures (without re-clicking on my note of choice)

miker

Post by miker » Mon May 16, 2016 3:34 pm

That may be what I did too, without noticing.

I'm sending this in to tech support.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

miker

Post by miker » Tue May 17, 2016 6:00 pm

The response from tech support:

Good to hear from you, and thanks for bringing this to our attention. There are a number of problems with fonts sticking with the Lyrics tool and this appears to be one of them. We'll have to investigate further what specifically causes this behavior, and it's possible there may be a documentation error as well, but I'll certainly get this reported to our developers.

In the meantime, it's definitely a good idea to set the fonts for lyrics in Document Options to Finale Numerics, or do so through the Lyrics window (though you'd obviously need to type figured bass directly into the score) for more consistent behavior.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

dangerh
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by dangerh » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:00 pm

I'm also having this problem! And sometimes the "Font Settings..." dialogue won't open when in the lyric tool. Did you get any resolution?

miker

Post by miker » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Nothing further. You might want to open a case with tech support. Include a link to this thread.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura