Last page is huge and not recognized

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tanyaviola

Post by tanyaviola » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:41 pm

Help! I have an orchestral score that I'm trying to format so each page is easy to read for the conductor and so I had to push a lot of measures over so I could work on current pages. Well, at one point I did that and when it moved a bunch of measures over to a NEW page, it made the system on that page huge! Finale also doesn't recognize that page. It thinks there are 5 pages, but that last page is page 6. Here's a photo:

Any help is appreciated. I don't know how to fix this!

T.
Attachments
CrappyFinaleSmall.jpg
Huge last page
CrappyFinaleSmall.jpg (64.18 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
Finale 26.2.1.464, OS Mojave
2019 iMac 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5
40 GB RAM

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:09 am

Document menu > Page Format > Score…

The settings in {Page Format for Score} are used when Finale creates new systems/pages in the score.
You should make sure that the settings in {Page Format for Score} are, as you need them to be.

From you description it sounds like the settings in {Page Format for Score} are not, as you need them.
When you pushed “a lot of measures over”, Finale created an extra page at the end of the score.

When the settings in {Page Format for Score} have been corrected, you can fix the score layout via a “Redefine Pages” (Page Layout menu).

Also, it might be a good idea to do an {Update Layout}.
Look in the Utilities menu.
tanyaviola wrote:…Finale also doesn't recognize that page. It thinks there are 5 pages, but that last page is page 6…
I am not sure what you mean by your words “doesn't recognize that page” ?!?
Please explain.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

tanyaviola

Post by tanyaviola » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:56 pm

I never changed the settings in "Page Format for Score", so why would it be different on a new page? If I need to change something, what would it be?

As for the last page, when you click the bottom to go to the beginning, it shows "page 1" and takes me to the beginning. When I click the arrow to take me to the very end, it takes me to what I see as the last page (page 6), but it lists "page 5" on the bottom. Also, if I try to click anywhere on the page to change something, it only gives me the option to change "page 5" or "page 5 to end", but no page 6 listed. I think that this must have something to do with the why it's formatting the system differently on that page.

Update layout doesn't do anything.

I may have to manually make the pages larger so I can see the full score, add measures before it, and copy and paste, then delete the weird looking stuff (if that works). But I'd rather just find a fix, if there is one. This is a huge bug for Finale!

I've often pushed measures over to create new pages, and it's NEVER done this to me before. But I've also never worked with an orchestral score before. Usually it's just a few lines.

T.
40 GB RAM

tanyaviola

Post by tanyaviola » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:34 pm

I was able to copy all that big stuff and paste it into a new file so I at least have it (to copy it back).

I tried deleting the measure stack and that was fine. It deleted the extra page. Then when I went to try and add measures to the piece, it added them huge (& flowing off the bottom of the page), just like in the picture above. So I'm not sure how to add the measures at the same size as the other measures.
40 GB RAM

tanyaviola

Post by tanyaviola » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:55 pm

I figured it out!!! I had to click on the PREVIOUS page in between the staves to resize the system TO THE END, the same size as the previous ones. That fixed it. Now it's all the same size. That was a close one!

T.
40 GB RAM

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:12 pm

tanyaviola wrote:I never changed the settings in "Page Format for Score", so why would it be different on a new page?…
Perhaps because all the previous pages are NOT formatted according to the settings in {Page Format for Score}?
This can easily happen if you - manually - change the formatting of the pages, without updating Page Format for Score.
Did you examine the settings in {Page Format for Score}?
Did you examine the settings in the first five pages?
Are the settings the same?
Obviously they should be the same, but are they?
tanyaviola wrote:…If I need to change something, what would it be?…
What I would do:

1) Page Layout Tool.
Page Layout menu > Update Page Format for Score (check this setting).
The setting “Update Page Format for Score” is program specific (not document specific).
You can un-check it when you are done.

2) Click a system on one of the first five pages (= where the format is as you need it).
Page Layout menu > Systems > Edit Margins…
Change one of the margins to something else.
Change the margin back to what it was (NOT via Undo!).

3) When you now examine the settings in {Page Format for Score}, you should find that the settings have changed / been updated.
As a final test you could try
Page Layout menu > Redefine Pages > …
The command Redefine Pages formats the pages according to {Page Format for Score}.
If you do not get any difference via Redefine Pages, then the settings have been updated, and you can un-check “Update Page Format for Score”.
tanyaviola wrote:…As for the last page, when you click the bottom to go to the beginning, it shows "page 1" and takes me to the beginning. When I click the arrow to take me to the very end, it takes me to what I see as the last page (page 6), but it lists "page 5" on the bottom. Also, if I try to click anywhere on the page to change something, it only gives me the option to change "page 5" or "page 5 to end", but no page 6 listed…
I suspect that this has something to do with the chosen Page View Style.
Try e. g. “Looseleaf Style: Current Page Only”.
tanyaviola wrote:…This is a huge bug for Finale!…
A bug?
Perhaps.

However, it could also be an Unmet Reasonable Expectation.

The vast majority of threads that contain the words "Bugs in Finale!!!!!!" in the subject, usually turn out to be some individual problem, such as conflicting third-party software or a problem in the chair-to-keyboard interface.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:18 pm

tanyaviola wrote:I figured it out!!! I had to click on the PREVIOUS page in between the staves to resize the system TO THE END, the same size as the previous ones. That fixed it. Now it's all the same size…
This is exactly what I mean:
You never changed the settings in "Page Format for Score", so why would it be different on a new page?
Because you changed the formatting yourself - without updating the settings in {Page Format for Score}.

If you add extra systems to the score, or if you Redefine Pages, you will get a different size again.

tanyaviola

Post by tanyaviola » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:52 pm

Nope. I've been pushing measures over now (creating new systems)....it's staying the same size!! So it definitely fixed the problem.
40 GB RAM