Expressions, etc in layers for parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tonytony
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by tonytony » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi

In the past I've always used separate staves for each instrument (eg flutes 1 & 2) as it's simple and foolproof However, it uses a lot of vertical space so I thought I'd learn how to generate separate parts from layers. It's all working well except for the inputting of dynamics, articulations, smart shapes, etc into layer 2. So if I place an expression in the stave where there are notes in both layers it only appears on layer 1 and I don't seem to be able to copy it between layers. Do I have to enter all these manually (please no!)? Have I missed something really basic?

Tony

Finale 2014.5
Mac Pro
OS 10.11.5

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:46 pm

You definitely have missed something really basic.

I am sure you understand how difficult it can be to diagnose something blindly with nothing to look at.
If you attach a (small) Finale sample document here, then we can probably pinpoint the culprit.

This forum does not accept attachments with the Finale file name extension.

Before you can attach a Finale document in this forum, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.

Until we have a document to examine, we can only guess.

Here is a quick guess:
Perhaps you have missed a pop up menu in the dialog box Expression Assignment:
Attachments
ExpressionAssignment.jpg
ExpressionAssignment.jpg (45.37 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

tonytony

Post by tonytony » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:46 pm

Yep! That's it (feeling slightly embarrassed!). Thanks Peter.

Do you have to do this on a case by case basis or is there a global setting? (It looks to me as though it works on the basis of the symbol concerned so once it's set for (eg) mf all mfs will behave in that way). Also can you do the same for articulations and smart shapes?

And finally (sorry) if you have a section which you want play in unison but in both instruments (a2) am I right in thinking that you have to copy the notes in Layer 1, paste them on to a spare stave, convert to Layer 2, select 'show active layer only', paste into layer 2 in the original stave and then delete the notes from the spare stave? Or is there a command somewhere which allows you to paste Layer 1 notes into layer 2?

Thanks again.

Tony

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:23 pm

Tony,
Take a look in the selection tool context menu. There is a command to Move/Copy Layers.You could also look at the JW Staff Polyphony plugin.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

tonytony

Post by tonytony » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:32 pm

Mike -

How stupid am I? How long have I been using Move Layers on a daily basis? 15 years? 20? And in all that time I never saw that there was also any option to copy layers !!! What a revelation - huge thanks - I'm feeling really dim - this will transform my workflow massively.

I'll now go and have a look a the plugin you mentioned.

Many thanks again.

Tony

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:05 am

tonytony wrote:…Do you have to do this on a case by case basis or is there a global setting? (It looks to me as though it works on the basis of the symbol concerned so once it's set for (eg) mf all mfs will behave in that way)…
As Far As I Can Tell - from my own experience - it depends on whether there are notes in both layers, or only in one layer:
1) If there are notes in both Layer 1 and Layer 2, Finale will default to Show On “All Layers”.
2) If there notes in Layer 1 only, Finale will default to Show On “Layer 1”.
3) If there notes in Layer 2 only, Finale will default to Show On “Layer 2”.
Which is the behaviour you would expect as a user (at least I would).

tonytony wrote:…Also can you do the same for articulations and smart shapes?…
An articulation is always attached to a specific layer.

A note attached smart shape (e. g. a slur) is always attached to a specific layer.

A beat attached smart shape (e. g. a crescendo hairpin) will show in both the linked parts (i. e. independent of the layers).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

tonytony

Post by tonytony » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks Peter.