Lyric extension problem Finale 2011 - Irish Lilting

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

cumbaw
Finale Version: 2014, 2011
Operating System: Mac

Post by cumbaw » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:41 pm

My main focus is transcribing Irish instrumental music and in 25 years of using Finale I have rarely done any work with lyrics.

I recently transliterated the vocables of an Irish musician lilting a jig. Lilting is a form of mouth music — not unlike scat. The piece I'm working on is in 6/8 with a basic eighth note "di-dle-ly, di-dle-ly" rhythm. I inserted the vocables into the score and everything went well.

But when I attempted to add lyric extensions to some of the longer note values things went downhill. When I dragged the handle on the syllable "Dah" (duration = dotted quarter) in the last measure of System 1 a tiny bit to the right to the next syllable in the measure, the extension ran all the way to the end of System 2. Trying to drag the handles on the subsequent syllables back to the left did not help. Is there a fix for this issue?

I tried to upload examples but the forum interface rejected both .mus and .pdf formats. Is there a way around this as well?

Finale 2011, Mac OS 10.6.8

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:47 pm

Welcome to the forum!

This forum does not accept attachments with the Finale file name extension.

Before you can attach a Finale document in this forum, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

cumbaw

Post by cumbaw » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:38 pm

Thank you for the upload clarification, Peter. I've compressed and attached two Finale files in a .zip file.

The file titled "N Road to Tralee_original" shows the piece before I tried to add a short extension between the syllables "Dah" & "Rum" in the last measure of System 1.

The file titled "N Road to Tralee_extension problem" shows how the short extension I attempted to add ran all the way to the end of System 2 as described in my initial post.

Any ideas for a fix?
Attachments
Lilting Lyric Extension Probem.zip
(80.79 KiB) Downloaded 183 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:34 pm

It is not “standard practice” to add word extensions in a case like this - there is simply no need for word extensions here.

Word extensions are used where a string of notes are sung on the same syllable (also known as a melisma).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

cumbaw

Post by cumbaw » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:17 pm

Okay,thanks! That let's me off the hook and I can move on to another task.