hiding cautionary times signatures in one staff only

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Slavicek
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Slavicek » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:28 am

As the title suggest, I'm having problems with hiding cautionary time signatures (the time signature that appears on the page before the actual time change). I'd usually hide it using Measure Tool, but in a score with many staves, I'd like to hide it only for certain instruments. And when I use Measure Tool, it hides it in all the staves.

I usually use Staff Tool to hide time signatures (I create my own Staff style that displays no time) and it works just fine, but it isn't really helpful with this situation.

What I would like to achieve is the following:
- previous page: in one staff only, cautionary time signature hidden
- next page: in the very same staff (and very same staff only), time signature visible.
- all the other staves unaffected with what I did with that single staff above.

Is there a catch I may have overseen? Any help would be useful.

Thank you in advance

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:24 am

I am not sure I understand your description completely, but take a look at the attached Finale 2014 document.

Is this what you mean?
Attachments
HideCautionaryTime.musx.zip
(14.02 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Slavicek
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Slavicek » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:27 am

Yes Peter, that is exactly what I had in mind. So you created a cautionary mask using Expression Tool and just put it over the time signature? When I delete the expression in the file you've sent me, I don't see cautionary time signature though.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:26 pm

Slavicek wrote:Yes Peter, that is exactly what I had in mind. So you created a cautionary mask using Expression Tool and just put it over the time signature?…
Yes.
For this purpose I created a custom expression category, with positioning settings that made the expression automatically position itself correctly.
Slavicek wrote:…When I delete the expression in the file you've sent me, I don't see cautionary time signature though.
When I delete the expression, the cautionary time signature immediately appears.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996