Howdy all, and a question...

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Beacon Chris
Finale Version: 14.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by Beacon Chris » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:19 pm

Hellow everyone!

I'm somewhat of an inexperienced Finale user but I've embarked upon a project which requires me to use Finale to create an edition of an early 17th century work. I'm learning how to put in my figured bass numbers and accidentals among other things. My score also has repeat signs (some of which are mid-measure) and I've used the mid-measure repeat plug-in to insert. the issue is that my 17th century score has repeat dots on both sides of the thicker bar ending, and I don't know if it's possible to create this sign or new signs that are not a part of the standard Finale suite of symbols. Could anyone help me with this question?

Cheers,
Chris

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:01 am

Beacon Chris wrote:…my 17th century score has repeat dots on both sides of the thicker bar ending, and I don't know if it's possible to create this sign or new signs that are not a part of the standard Finale suite of symbols…
I am not sure I understand.

What you describe, sounds like a Backward Repeat Bar and a Forward Repeat Bar next to each other (= Back-to-Back).
Is that what you mean?

Finale offers three different Back-to-Back styles.
You can see the three Back-to-Back styles in
Document menu > Document Options > Repeats
Attachments
DocumentOptions-Repeats.jpg
DocumentOptions-Repeats.jpg (80.7 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Beacon Chris

Post by Beacon Chris » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:11 am

Wow! Thanks, those are it! I'll let you know if I can find and use them.

Cheers,
Chris

Beacon Chris

Post by Beacon Chris » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:21 am

Peter,

So I can find them in that particular menu, but how would I select the back to back style for my repeat. It seems to default to the end style, and I can't seem to figure out where in any menu I could select this. I did try the select tool and then edit somehow, but I can't figure it out.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:46 am

You need to select two different repeat bars.

Add a Back Repeat Bar at the end of one measure, and add a Forward Repeat Bar at the beginning of the next measure.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996