Spacing after applying two bar repeats

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

HansBerkers
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by HansBerkers » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:58 pm

Hey there,
I am working on an arrangement for windband of a piece by Albeniz. I have a question regarding the spacing after applying two bar repeats and wanted to attach a sample file. But when I try to do that I get the message: "The extension musx is not allowed". How can I send files now?

In any case: in some parts I apply two bar repeats to measures 3 to 8. But when I do that in the part for "bugel 3" (that is dutch for "flugelhorn 3") it messes up the spacing when I apply not spacing. What happens is that in some measures (3,4 and 8 ) the first note is moved to the right significantly. This does not happen in the other parts where I applied the two bar repeat.

I can't figure out what is happening. Can anyone help me?

I work with Finale 2014.5 on a Mac with Osx 10.11.6

Greetings, Hans Berkers

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:46 pm

HansBerkers wrote:…wanted to attach a sample file. But when I try to do that I get the message: "The extension musx is not allowed". How can I send files now?…
This forum does not accept attachments with the Finale file name extension.

Before you can attach a Finale document in this forum, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.

HansBerkers wrote:…in some parts I apply two bar repeats to measures 3 to 8. But when I do that in the part for "bugel 3" (that is dutch for "flugelhorn 3") it messes up the spacing when I apply note spacing. What happens is that in some measures (3,4 and 8 ) the first note is moved to the right significantly. This does not happen in the other parts where I applied the two bar repeat…
Without a Finale document to examine the issue is difficult to diagnose.

Attach your sample document here for the gurus to look at.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:54 pm

I can see that you have attached a sample document in the forum on MakeMusic’s web site.
I took a look at your sample document (attached).
Two_bar_repeat_spacing.musx.zip
(55.26 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
As Far As I Can Tell, the culprit is a Music Spacing setting:

Document Options - Music Spacing > Avoid Collision of > Hidden Notes

Two ideas:

1) De-select “Hidden Notes”.

2) Delete the hidden notes.
(I suppose you know where the hidden notes are!)

Peter

HansBerkers

Post by HansBerkers » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Hi Peter,
There are no real hidden notes in the measures that act strange (except for the ones created by the two bar repeats). But when I de-select hidden notes in the music spacing options then all goes well.

What strikes me as odd is that all goes well with the spacing (also with hidden notes selected in the spacing options) until I apply the two bar repeats to the "bugel 3" part.

But with your input I can go on with the arrangement. Thanks!

Hans

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:33 pm

HansBerkers wrote:…What strikes me as odd is that all goes well with the spacing (also with hidden notes selected in the spacing options) until I apply the two bar repeats to the "bugel 3" part…
This has nothing to do with the "bugel 3" staff.
The "bugel 3" staff was just the last staff displaying 8ths in the problem measures (= 3, 4 and 8).

Try this:
Clear the Two-Bar repeat staff style from the "bugel 2" staff.
Apply the Two-Bar repeat staff style to the "bugel 3" staff.
Apply music spacing - and all is well.

Now apply the Two-Bar repeat staff style to the "bugel 2" staff.
Apply music spacing - and the spacing gets messed up - since the "bugel 2" staff was the last staff displaying 8ths in the problem measures.

HansBerkers

Post by HansBerkers » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:05 pm

Hi Peter,

You are quite right. It's the last staff with 8ths notes that gets the staff style applied that causes the strange behaviour. De-selecting hidden notes in the spacing options solves this for now but as I said in a reply in the makemusic forum I would consider this a bug.

Hans