Patch change results in new name for part and no return

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

GoGuard
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by GoGuard » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:12 pm

I'm using Finale 2014.5 with Windows. In a score for orchestra I have a part for mallet instruments, namely xylophone and glockenspiel. I named the part "Mallets (Xylo., Glock.). Using the expression tool I made patch changes for these instruments. After a change in the score from xylophone to glockenspiel, the score only shows "Glockenspiel" from that page on. In addition, my inserted patch change back to xylophone does not change the patch upon playback nor does it change the name of the part. What do I need to do? Thanks in advance for your help.
GoGuard
“To study music we must learn the rules.
To create music we must break them.” Nadia Boulanger

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:06 pm

You can also select the region concerning the new instrument and use Utilities -> Change Instrument. Finale takes care of name, clef, notation style, patch, etc...
A text expression will still be needed to inform the player of an instrument change.
If you need the full name at some point in that particular staff (because the abbreviated name appears from the second system on), create a staff style (Staff menu) which has the full name in the abbrev. box.
Last edited by michelp on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:07 pm

GoGuard wrote:…Using the expression tool I made patch changes for these instruments…
Instead of using the Expression Tool, have you tried the Change Instrument utility?

(Utilities menu > Change Instrument…)
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996