Splitting measures/measure number help

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

MAR5
Finale Version: Finale 2012
Operating System: Mac

Post by MAR5 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:54 am

Hi, I have a situation in an orchestra piece where there are large sections of music in 6/4, 7/4 etc that I would like to break up into more conductable units (3/4, 4/4 et al). I have tried employing the Split Measure plug-in, but I discovered that it messes with the measure numbers by treating the two split measures as one measure n the counting system. So I guess my question boils down to whether or not I should A.) split all these up manually (God help me), or B) Split them with the plug-in, but find some way to trick the measure-number thing? Or is there something I'm missing? Any help would be very much appreciated ~MA

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:08 am

When the Split Measure plug-in “does its thing”, it de-selects “Include in Measure Numbering” for the second (half-)measure.
The option “Include in Measure Numbering” is located in the Measure Attributes.

What you need, can be done in this way:

1) Split the measures with the plug-in.

2) Measure Tool.
Select All the measures in the entire document.
Double-click the selected.
The dialog box Measure Attributes appears, showing that all the measures are selected.
For the right bar line, select Normal Barline.
Put a check mark on “Include in Measure Numbering”.
Click OK.

The point here is that the Measure Attributes dialog box is a “utility”, which you can use to set the measure attributes for all the measures in a selected region (e. g. for all the measures in the entire document).

By The Way:
You can not, in a similar way, use the dialog box Staff Attributes to set the staff attributes for all the staves in the document.
Instead, there is the plug-in Global Staff Attributes.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

MAR5
Finale Version: Finale 2012

Post by MAR5 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks!