Printing on 11 X 17

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jazzbo
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by jazzbo » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:33 pm

I have a new printer that prints 11 x 17 but I'm having a problem getting the pages to display in full size. By full size I mean the same size that is produced when printing on 8.5 x 11. When printing two pages on one 11 x 17, the pages are compressed down so that there is this large margin around the pages. I've tried various combinations; identifying the printer and paper size in the Finale page set up and not doing it; various things in the Mac print window (layout, 1, 2 up, scale to paper size, fit to page, etc.); printing to a pdf and then printing from the pdf. Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Epson Artisan 1430 printer
Mac OS X 10.11.6
Finale 2014.5.7098

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:23 am

jazzbo wrote:… I've tried various combinations; identifying the printer and paper size in the Finale page set up and not doing it; various things in the Mac print window (layout, 1, 2 up, scale to paper size, fit to page, etc.); printing to a pdf and then printing from the pdf. Nothing seems to work …
I suppose that the list of the steps you have tried, is complete, right?

I have a question regarding a step - not on your list:

Go to
Finale 2014.5 menu > Preferences > Save and Print

Is the option “Use Finale’s Page Orientation Instead of the Printer’s Page Prientation” selected or de-selected?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jazzbo

Post by jazzbo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:33 pm

It was selected. So, to see if it made a difference, I deselected it and went through several print steps and it didn't seem to make a difference. Still a large blank border around each page. Thanks for your suggestion though. Anything else?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:56 pm

1) The option “Use Finale’s Page Orientation Instead of the Printer’s Page Prientation” should be de-selected when printing 2-up.

But the Mac Print dialog option “Ignore printer margins for n-up printing” should be selected.

I suppose that you already have tried that option combination, right?

2) To find the culprit we may need to examine an actual Finale document.

I suggest that you attach a (small) Finale sample document here.
Before attaching you can safely clear the measures - we only need to see a document with empty measures.

This forum does not accept attachments with the Finale file name extension.
Before you can attach a Finale document in this forum, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jazzbo

Post by jazzbo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:03 pm

Actually, your first suggestion fixed it. I guess I had not tried that combination. Here's what I did: deselected the option in the Save and Print preference; in Page Setup I identified the printer, paper size and chose landscape as a layout; in the print dialog box under Finale 2014.5 I chose 2-up and ignore printer margins for n-up printing; under Layout I chose 1 page per sheet. Some of these options may be sound obvious to some, but clearly I was having a problem. BTW, this applied to any file I tried to print, so wasn't a specific file issue. Thanks so much for your help.