Broken Systems

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

raweber
Finale Version: 2014.5.6359
Operating System: Windows

Post by raweber » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:19 am

Any idea why Finale is doing this to me:

I locked the third system to spread out the notes in the fourth to keep them readable. When I don't lock any systems Finale displays normally. If I lock the last four measures to a system they stack on top of each other (illegible). If I stretch the two thick measures with the measure tool enough to spread them out, the last four measures also split as shown.

Any ideas?
Rob Weber
www.notesfromtheshore.com

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:38 am

This issue is not a matter of measure width, but rather a matter of system formatting.

I would go to
Document menu > Page Format > Score…
and examine/edit the system settings there.

When creating new systems/pages Finale uses the settings in {Page Format for Score}.

In the attached image it looks like Finale has created the last four systems with a huge Right margin.
Obviously the Right margin in {Page Format for Score} should have been zero instead of a huge value.

If you - in {Page Format for Score} - change the Right margin value to zero, then the change will not affect already existing systems.

To update the existing systems with the new (corrected) margin value, use

Page Layout Tool.
Page Layout menu > Redefine Pages > All Pages of Current Part/Score
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Besides Peter's explanation, which is important to understand, the Page Layout Tool can also provide a manual solution. The right handles of the shortened systems (select them all) can be dragged to the right margin.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

raweber

Post by raweber » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:31 am

Yeah, that's what it was doing. It didn't even occur to me to check the page layout, but when I locked the systems it was maintaining the same short system at the end that it had for a single measure. Not sure why it happened, but thanks for the tips!
Rob Weber

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:25 am

raweber wrote:… when I locked the systems it was maintaining the same short system at the end that it had for a single measure. Not sure why it happened, but thanks for the tips!
The culprit is a program setting in the Page Layout menu:

Page Layout menu > Update Page Format for Score

When you created the short system at the end of the document, Finale updated Page Layout for Score, thus making the short system the default formatting when creating new systems.

I could be wrong here, but it might suit your workflow better if you leave “Update Page Format for Score” toggled off - except for the (rare) occasions when you need it toggled on.

NB:
“Update Page Format for Score” is a program specific setting, not a document specific setting!
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

raweber

Post by raweber » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely do that!
Rob Weber