Glissando Not Working for Vibraphone

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ChuckSmith127
Finale Version: Finale 2010
Operating System: Windows

Post by ChuckSmith127 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:04 pm

I'm writing a song in Finale 2010 in Windows, It has some instruments, and glissando works for all of them, except Vibraphone. And in the song Vibraphone should have glissando in it but finale doesn't play the glissando. :( Am I doing something wrong?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:13 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Finale 2010 was developed in 2009, 7 years ago.
I have not been using Finale 2010 for several years, and I do not have it installed anymore.

Please specify the steps you've already taken, so that we can rule out things.

Without knowing what steps you've already taken, we can only guess.

Here comes a guess:
I suppose that the glissando playback is handled by Human Playback.
I would check the settings for Human Playback - perhaps the settings are telling Human Playback to, not interpret glissandi on Vibraphone.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

ChuckSmith127

Post by ChuckSmith127 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:48 am

Now I understand the problem, but I don't know why does it happen.
I had 2 staves of Vibraphone in a group called "Vibraphone". I changed the group name and it worked! :shock: but if I change it back to "Vibraphone" it doesn't play glissando again. I don't know why that happens. How do I fix this?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:58 pm

With so little info I can only guess.

It might help if you attached a (small) Finale sample document.
This forum does not accept attachments with the Finale file name extension.
Before you can attach a Finale document in this forum, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.

Some “shots in the dark”:

* What happens if you change the group name from “Vibraphone” to “ Vibraphone ”?

* If a certain, changed group name works, you could use that group name, and hide it.
Then add “Vibraphone” in another way (staff style, expression, articulation, text block, whatever).

ChuckSmith127

Post by ChuckSmith127 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:35 pm

I just realized that if I type different instrument names, the glissando will be different. For example, for guitar, the glissando played slower.
Also, It doesn't work for any name that has vibraphone word in it with any caps. Even something like "ehisdufvibraphoneksdjfh" has the word "vibraphone" in it causing it to not play glissando. Also, "vibraphon", "vibarph", and "vibra" didn't play the glissando as well. I think that's just because of instrument names and I'm sure it's something from Human Playback. I don't have any problems now, because I changed the name to "Vib." so it plays the glissando now. But is there a way for it to play glissando while the group is called "Vibraphone"?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:03 pm

ChuckSmith127 wrote:… is there a way for it to play glissando while the group is called "Vibraphone"?
I do not know.

Some ideas:

1) Change - temporarily - the group name to something that gives the glissando you need.
Then use the MIDI Tool:
MIDI Tool menu > Apply Human Playback
This step will write the Human Playback interpretation into the MIDI (playback) code so that you will hear the Human Playback interpretation, even when Human Playback is toggled off.
Then change the group name back.

2) Ask for help on MakeMusic’s web site.
Read instructions on, how to get there, in this thread:
http://www.finaleforum.com//viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14293