Separate beams in Finale 2011?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

smalandstos
Finale Version: Finale 2011
Operating System: Windows

Post by smalandstos » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:13 pm

Hi!

I´m trying to find out how I can separate beams in my sheet. I have googled for the answer and found many answers, but not for my question. I hope anyone out there can understand what I´m trying to do with my notes. I will try to describe it as well as I can :)

I´m using Finale 2011 and Windows 10 Pro.

I have for example written one eight together with two 16s in 4/4 time.
Balkningsfråga_liten.jpg
Balkningsfråga_liten.jpg (10.82 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
Finale automaticaly beams these together which I don´t want Finale to do. I don´t want any of the notes beamed together. I´ve tried the tip when you use the Simple entry tool, click on the last note and hit option-key together with / to break the beam, but it don´t work. I´ve tried so many times and with different keys on the keyboard. And besides, when I´ve looked at videos explaining how to break beams in Finale the result they showed is not the right answer for me. I want space between unbared notes, not notes split into groups. I´ve even tried to alter the time signature to 1/16, but the result just looks terrible, and the notes are still beamed together...

I´ve tried to visualize the result I want by these graphics selection-pictures.
Balkningsfråga_3 liten.jpg
Balkningsfråga_3 liten.jpg (19.54 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
That is my goal. I´ve inserted hidden rests between the notes, but the space between the notes is to wide. I´m going to use the sheet as teaching materials in music theory with my students. The exercise is to beam the unbeamed notes correct and write the missing measurelines.

Does anyone know how I should do it?

Thanks in advance!/Martina
/ Martina

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:22 pm

Finale won't give you random spacing. If you set your time signature to 16/16, to display as 4/4, nothing will be beamed. But you will still have to move the notes individually, either with the note position tool, or beat spacing tool.

And you can break the beams with just the / tool. The Option key should not be necessary (unless that's something required by a non-US keyboard?)
Attachments
beams_3.png
beams_3.png (96.33 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
beams.png
beams.png (86.72 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

smalandstos

Post by smalandstos » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:10 pm

Thank you for your fast reply! I will try your advice once I´m back at work at monday! Can´t wait! :D
/ Martina

smalandstos

Post by smalandstos » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:14 am

miker wrote:Finale won't give you random spacing. If you set your time signature to 16/16, to display as 4/4, nothing will be beamed. But you will still have to move the notes individually, either with the note position tool, or beat spacing tool.

And you can break the beams with just the / tool. The Option key should not be necessary (unless that's something required by a non-US keyboard?)
Thank you! It worked!! *weeps gratefully* :D Now I can complete the test!
/ Martina