Margins get messed up after inserting measures

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

alexyuwen
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by alexyuwen » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:09 pm

Say I want to insert text in between 2 systems, which are on the 4th page, for example. In order to make room for the text, I use the page layout tool to make the space between those 2 systems on the 4th page wider. However, when I later insert a measure stack on the 2nd page, then lock the layout to 4 measures per system, when I go to page 4, the wide space I created previously is no longer between the 2 same systems. The space has been shifted over. That means I have to manually adjust the systems/margins - and you can see how frustrating this is considering I often insert multiple texts into multiple locations throughout my document.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! And please let me know if what I'm asking is not clear.

Clarification: So say the space between the 2 systems was between system 38 and 39. When I insert a measure stack earlier in my document, then fit the measures, I'm essentially creating a new system earlier in the piece wherever I just fit the measures. So the old system 38 and 39 now becomes the new system 39 and 40. Yet the space that I had created remains between system 38 and 39, when I actually need it between 39 and 40!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:49 am

1) In a case like this, do not insert measure stacks.
Instead, use the Page Layout Tool to insert a staff system with the number of measures you need.

2) When you insert the text between two systems, do not use a page attached text block.
A page attached text block does not automatically move with the music as you edit the system layout.
Instead, use a measure/staff attached text block, or an expression.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

alexyuwen

Post by alexyuwen » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:26 am

Thanks for the reply, it worked.

But I still have a problem with the flipside of this issue, which is that when I have 2 systems that I want to put all on 1 system, it messes up the spacing between the systems later in the document. I imagine there is a similar solution to this? Currently I am combining 2 systems by using the measure tool, clicking on the rightmost measure of a system, then clicking the up arrow.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:02 am

alexyuwen wrote:… I still have a problem with the flipside of this issue, which is that when I have 2 systems that I want to put all on 1 system, it messes up the spacing between the systems later in the document. I imagine there is a similar solution to this? …
Yes, there is a similar solution:

1) Insert an empty measure stack in one of the two systems, either at the beginning of the first system, or at the end of the other system.

2) When you now put all the (non-empty) measures on one system, there is still one, empty measure stack left in the other system.

3) Do not delete this empty measure.
Instead, delete this (empty) system, via the Page Layout Tool:
Page Layout menu > Delete Staff Systems
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

alexyuwen

Post by alexyuwen » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:36 pm

Problem fixed! Thanks a lot.