Can't save file

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ubarb
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by ubarb » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:29 am

When I click on Save or Save as, I get: While attempting to access “EnigmaTemp-181685495” the File Manager reported an error.

Finale - Error occurred. ID = -2

When I tried to open a new document to copy in what I had written, the Setup Wizard didn't work. It didn't put in the four instruments I had specified, and once it didn't even include enough staves.

Before this happened, we had an electrical outage, and the computer was turned off and then on again twice. I ran the First Aid, which didn't change anything in Finale. I've printed the five pages of the document so that I can re-enter it all if necessary. (if Setup Wizard will work.)

Using Finale 2014.5
Mac O.S. X El Capitan

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:34 am

Let us be scientific about your problem.

Please specify the steps you've already taken, so that we can rule out things.
(Have you tried trashing your preferences file? Tested a brand new user account? Rebooted? … &c. … &c.)

The better we understand, the better we can help.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

ubarb

Post by ubarb » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:17 am

No, I haven't done any of the things you suggested. Which preferences file should I trash? The only one I know about is System Preferences, which seems irrelevant. I have not tested a new user account. Does that mean a new Finale account? I have turned off the computer and turned it back on. Rebooted? I don't know what to do. The only things I've done are what I mentioned: tried to save as, ran the First Aid, tried to copy into a new file (which wouldn't set up the way I specified.)

I'm sorry that I'm not more sophisticated about computers. I use Finale successfully, and often, but when things don't work I flounder.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:24 am

The “user account” I am talking about, is your Mac OS X user account on your Mac computer (not a Finale account).
ubarb wrote:No, I haven't done any of the things you suggested. Which preferences file should I trash? …
Before you trash the Preferences file, quit Finale.

The file you should trash, is located in your user account’s Library folder.
Usually your user account’s Library folder is hidden, but there is a simple trick to get there:

Hold down Option (= the alt key), pull down Finder’s Go menu, and choose Library in the Go menu.
This step will open the hidden Library folder.

The preferences file is called “Finale 2014.5 Preferences” (without the quotes).
Path:
Library/Preferences/Finale 2014.5 Preferences

When Finale 2014.5 is launched again, it will create a new (fresh) Preferences file.

ubarb wrote:… I have not tested a new user account. Does that mean a new Finale account? …
No, I mean a new Mac OS X user account.
I will not give you a long, technical explanation that you do not understand.
Just this:
Testing in a new user account is not a solution, but rather an attempt to narrow down the possible causes to your problem.

ubarb wrote:… I have turned off the computer and turned it back on. Rebooted? …
Yes, that is what “reboot” means.

ubarb

Post by ubarb » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:41 pm

Again, thanks for your information and your patience.

I had to force quit Finale. Now I'll follow your instructions.

The Go menu did not have Library listed. Is there an intermediary step that I didn't know about?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:59 am

ubarb wrote:… The Go menu did not have Library listed. Is there an intermediary step that I didn't know about?
1) Did you hold down the Option key?

2) What version of Mac OS X are you using? - perhaps Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)?

ubarb

Post by ubarb » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Now I've got it. I had been holding down the option key at the wrong time. I found the library and trashed the Finale 2014.5 Preferences. I then opened the file I couldn't save, and was able to save it and also save it as [title] backup.

Thanks very much for helping me with this. Now I can continue working on this piece, and I'm very relieved.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:31 pm

ubarb wrote:… I have turned off the computer and turned it back on …
Hopefully your words “turned off the computer” do not mean that you turned off the power, but rather that you shut down the computer.
You should not “turn off the computer” by abruptly turning off the power, but rather give the computer time to do its maintenance procedures during the shut down phase.

ubarb

Post by ubarb » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:38 pm

I clicked on the apple on the upper left, clicked Shut Down, and let it do its thing.