Unwanted double barline instead of normal, marked as normal

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Giovanni
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by Giovanni » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:05 pm

Hello,

I'm using Finale 2014.5 on Mac OS X 10.11.6.
After I made a copy and paste from another file, a double barline appears after the pasted passage. I want it to be a simple normal barline. However, when I go to "measure attributes" for that measure, that barline (the barline on the right for that measure) is marked by Finale as "normal" (which is not true, as I clearly see that it is a double one). (Just for clarity: when I go to "measure attributes" for the following measure, its left barline is also marked as "normal", too.)
What could I do to make it a simple normal barline, if (by mistake) it is already so for Finale?
Giovanni – www.GKweb.it

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:49 pm

OK, I managed to solve the problem myself: it originated from the fact that I usually write only atonal music and I was copying from a document marked "in C Major" (actually, keyless) to another document marked "keyless". That sort of "change of key" (only formal, not real) caused the double barlines to appear automatically after the pasted measures, but this was very difficult to spot because no key accidentals were actually involved and present in neither document. I hope this experience can be helpful to somebody else.
Giovanni – www.GKweb.it

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:24 pm

There is a preference in Document Options > Barlines to automatically add double bars after key changes. If you turn that off, it shouldn't matter.

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:30 pm

I see, thank you very much! (The fact was that I usually ignore what concerns key changes, since I never use any key at all, but I will remember this from now on.)
Giovanni – www.GKweb.it