Insert long Graphic in Scroll View

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Carlspost1
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Carlspost1 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:23 am

Hi All,

I am trying to insert a long graphic whilst in Scroll view.
The graphic is a long ruler I created to help me more accurately align certain things like barlines etc at very specific points (see attached image example)
I want to place it directly underneath my 1 staff score which is about 112 bars long.
I can load the image without trouble but when I scroll along it keeps suddenly disappearing. Is there a way to make sure the image stays in place?

Many Thanks!
Carlspost1
Attachments
Ruler pic.png
Ruler pic.png (3.34 KiB) Viewed 5787 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:55 am

Since printing gives the Page View layout (not the Scroll View layout), aligning items in Scroll View will not “carry over” into the print.

Anyway, it is not clear to me what you are trying to do, and why.
Please explain.

The better we understand, the better we can help.

Instead of inserting a (long) graphic there might be another - and better - solution.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:07 pm

As Peter points out, there's no point in doing this in Scroll View, as you need to do aligning and laying out in Page View.

Finale's document window can display Rulers at the edges. You can also set a Grid to appear at regular intervals.

Carlspost1

Post by Carlspost1 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:21 pm

I realize that my needs are probably quite ‘non standard’.

Here is a brief outline of what I am doing… I want to create an image (PNG file) of my score in scroll view.
I can manage to do this using a scrollable screen capturing program. The reason is that I want the score to scroll in sync with an audio file. I need to edit positions of bar lines and notes etc to compensate for tempo changes etc.
Thanks.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:01 pm

Carlspost1 wrote:… I want to create an image (PNG file) of my score in scroll view.
I can manage to do this using a scrollable screen capturing program. The reason is that I want the score to scroll in sync with an audio file. I need to edit positions of bar lines and notes etc to compensate for tempo changes etc. …
If I understand you correctly, you intend to let the score scroll at a constant speed, measured in Measurement Units per Time Unit.
This will require that the music spacing is proportional:
that the double rhythmic value gets the double spacing.

However, proportional spacing is not what you normally see in professional music layout.
Instead the spacing of the double value is reduced to less than the double spacing.
Typically the double value gets 1.618 spacing (= Fibonacci spacing) - or less.

Such “tighter” spacing is easier to read.
On The Other Hand, a such “professional” music layout will require that the score scrolls with varying speed = slower for bigger values.
Your video software may not be able to do that (?)

By The Way 1:
There is no need to use Scroll View.
You can create the layout in Page View.
Choose a long page size, set the Page Orientation to Landscape, and reduce the staff height so much that the entire score can fit into one long system.
You can “print” this horizontal score to a PDF file, and use that PDF in the scrolling video.

By The Way 2:
Finale’s scrolling playback uses the opposite approach:
the score is standing still while a vertical green cursor scrolls through the layout, in sync with the playback.
Would that approach work for you?
You can capture Finale’s scrolling playback with a screen capture application.

Carlspost1

Post by Carlspost1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks so much for your detailed reply Peter.
I am very interested to try the following option you have suggested..

"By The Way 1:
There is no need to use Scroll View.
You can create the layout in Page View.
Choose a long page size, set the Page Orientation to Landscape, and reduce the staff height so much that the entire score can fit into one long system."

However I cant seem to manage it :(
I go to Document--Page Format--Score. Then I come to the Page format screen . (See attached pic)
After refreshing the score I still get no change...
Could you possibly send a screen shot of the set up you have suggested?
I have also attached a sample file that I am trying to work on.
Many Thanks,
Carl
Attachments
Set_up_Pic.png
Set_up_Pic.png (52.99 KiB) Viewed 5725 times

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Carlspost1 wrote:… I go to Document--Page Format--Score. Then I come to the Page format screen . (See attached pic)
After refreshing the score I still get no change…
Hello Carl,

Your words “refreshing the score” are not “Finale-speak”.
I do not understand.

What, exactly, do you mean by your words “refreshing the score”?

Is it
1) Page Layout menu > Redefine Pages… ?
or
2) Utilities menu > Update Layout ?
or
3) View menu > Redraw Screen ?
Please explain.

By The Way:
In the Page Format dialog box, edits/changes immediately affect all new systems/pages.
Already existing systems/pages are not affected.
This is by deliberate design, and what the Finale users want.
To update already existing pages with the new Page Format settings, use 1) = Redefine Pages.

Carlspost1

Post by Carlspost1 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:17 pm

Thank you again Peter,

I apologies for my use of 'non Finale' language.
I am quite new to the program but am learning things every time I use it :)

I tried your suggestions of using Page view with adjusted margins and staff position etc.. I have also tried redefining the score, Updating the layout and redrawing the screen..
However in this particular case despite your reasoning that it wont result in a professional looking score, my need to synchronize the bar lines with the audio is greater than my need for it to look truly professional.

Using page view resulted in other difficulties of alignment and extra clefs etc being added at the start of each new page. So I keep going back to my hope of positioning a ruler graphic in panorama view that stretches from the start of the score to the finish. As I pointed out, it seems to suddenly disappear as I scroll past the first few bars. Is there a way around this problem? (Of course I will be capturing the resulting score with a scrolling screen capture program).
Many Thanks!

Carlspost1

Post by Carlspost1 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi Peter,

I forget to attached this in my last post..

Here is an example of a ruler image that I hope to use in Panorama view. (see attached)
Thanks.
Attachments
Ruler Imagejoined 1.png
Ruler Imagejoined 1.png (44.02 KiB) Viewed 5689 times

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:06 pm

Carlspost1 wrote:… Using page view resulted in other difficulties of alignment and extra clefs etc being added at the start of each new page …
I apologize - I did not explain my idea clearly:

Do not use multiple pages - keep the entire score on the first page, in the first system.
That is the reason why I suggested
Peter Thomsen wrote:Choose a long page size, set the Page Orientation to Landscape, and reduce the staff height so much that the entire score can fit into one long system.
You can “print” this horizontal score to a PDF file, and use that PDF in the scrolling video.
To “reduce the staff height” I suggest that you use the Resize Tool to resize everything on the page to a small percentage.
When you are in the Resize Tool, click the page’s upper left corner.

Carlspost1 wrote:… However in this particular case despite your reasoning that it wont result in a professional looking score, my need to synchronize the bar lines with the audio is greater than my need for it to look truly professional …
If I understand you correctly, you need the spacing to be proportional, so that the double rhythmic value gets the double spacing, right?
Finale can do that - it is called Time Signature Spacing:
Utilities menu > Music Spacing > Apply Time Signature Spacing to Current Part/Score

By The Way:
You have already attached a ruler image - to your first post in this thread.

Carlspost1

Post by Carlspost1 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:03 am

I managed to work out a solution to this which I stumbled across by accident.

I just ended up replacing the Manuscript texture image with my own time grid/ruler.
Works like a charm! :lol:

Cheers.