Finding and eliminating instrument changes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

keithbraithwaite
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by keithbraithwaite » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:25 am

Hello
I've just imported a midi file and on playback it's clear that there are instrument changes which override the instruments I've configured in the score manager.
Is there some way to eliminate all such changes and start with a clean sheet - even better is there a view where I can see them?

I've put all the velocities to the same level using the midi tool to change the velocities and then viewing the velocity levels to check them - they are all at the same level everywhere.

I really need to be able to do the same for the relative volumes of the tracks which seem to be unequal and, as I said, above all, to be able to eliminate instrument changes.
Thanks in advance
Keith
Finale 2014 Windows 10
Apparently I can't upload the musx file... The instrument change takes place in bar three - the beginning of the original midi file - I add two bars at the beginning for technical reasons.
Old but not past it...

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:28 am

You should be able to see al instrument changes in the Score Manager, if you click the little triangle by the side of the Staff Name. That will pull down a list which will include instrument changes.

keithbraithwaite

Post by keithbraithwaite » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:33 am

Thanks! I'll look at that right away. Can I eliminate them there too?
Old but not past it...

keithbraithwaite

Post by keithbraithwaite » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:43 am

I have the same instrument (my choir Ahs) in each layer... I can't see the instrument (which seems to be a brass sound) which intervenes in bar 3 of the 4th track in my file.
I suppose there's no way to send you the file?
I have to go to work now, I'll be back later...
Old but not past it...

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:35 am

Try "Change Instrument" for all the measures of the staff to Soprano, or whatever.

Alternatively, if you can't see an instrument change in Score Manager, it might conceivably be a MIDI instruction. Select the whole document. Then, under Edit > Clear Selected Data, select "None", then Check "MIDI Data".

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:42 pm

To post a .mus file here, it must be compressed (zipped) and cannot exceed 100 kb in size.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society