Am I dense or what?!

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

paulj

Post by paulj » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:49 pm

I have a 70-bar composition I've written into Finale 2008 that is complete with 4 16ths in each measure (common time). However, I've decided it would sound much better if I change the whole thing to 6 16ths instead.

Looking at similar problems posted to this Forum, I'm still not finding the answer as to how to go about it without spending a horrific amount of time. When I pull up the Tuplet box, for example, there's no Default to help out.

Can you tell me, step by simple step, how to do this quickly and easily? Two musician sources I asked have no idea and would also like to know. Thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:08 pm

Welcome to the forum!

paulj wrote:I have a 70-bar composition I've written into Finale 2008 that is complete with 4 16ths in each measure (common time) …
What is the time signature?
- Is the time signature 4/16?
From what I have learned, “common time” is 4/4.
- Is the time signature 4/4?
If it is 4/4, then what else is in each measure?
Perhaps 3 quarter rests, to fill the measure?

paulj wrote:… However, I've decided it would sound much better if I change the whole thing to 6 16ths instead …
It is not clear to me what you mean?
Are you talking about changing only the layout, so that the playback rhythms will sound the same as before?
Are you talking about changing the sounding rhythms, so that the actual playback rhythms will be different from before?

Please explain.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

paulj

Post by paulj » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:00 pm

Yes, it's 4/4 timing.
The current piece is notated with 16ths (4 sets of 4 to each measure). I want to go back and retain those notes in each set, but add 2 more 16ths to each - therefore each measure would have 24 16ths altogether.
As I said earlier, there is no default setting for tuplets in Finale 2008, which would make things much easier.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:24 pm

If I understand you correctly, you want to go from (something like) A - 16ths - to (something like) B - sextuplet 16ths - where the extra notes are marked with an *, right?
AddedNotes.gif
AddedNotes.gif (31.88 KiB) Viewed 1808 times
How should any computer software be able to “read your mind”, and know the pitches of the extra * notes you want to add ?????

As I See It, you will have to enter the extra notes “manually”, yourself.

If I misunderstand you, then I apologize.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:36 am

As Peter suggests, you should be able to apply a tuplet to the existing notes, but then you'll be 2 notes short that you'll have to enter.

My advice is to clear one measure and enter the notes as you want them. Then paste this to all the other measures, and use Simple Entry's Repitch tool to get the pitches that you want.