Can't See Plug-ins

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Luka Puka
Finale Version: v25, macOS Ventura
Operating System: Mac

Post by Luka Puka » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:18 am

I recently bought Finale PrintMusic 2014 and was so excited to finally upgrade from 2011 because of its added features.
I used the "upgrade from a previous version" option on the web store for PM 2014 but I had a physical copy of PM 2011.

However, I see no Plug-ins or Tools drop-down menu at the top of my PM 2014. My PM 2011 doesn't have these drop-downs either, if it is supposed to have them.

This frustrates me because I'm composing a few pieces with a ton of things that could be notated better. I don't have an Advanced Tools or Special Tools palette or the like so I can't make 15ma marks, make glissandos, move noteheads, etc. so my scores have dotted notes colliding with regular notes from other layers/voices and beams intersecting staff changes between pairs of notes.

I tried looking through the help manual and all I could find was this one message: "If the Plug-ins menu does not appear, you may have done a custom install, or you may have removed or changed the name of the Plug-ins folder in your Finale installation directory."

I have not ever removed or changed the names of any folders in my Finale files and I have no idea what a custom install might have changed.

Does my Plug-ins folder (and all the other useful mechanics) still exist? If so, what do I do to make them appear and be able to use in PM 2014?

I hope this is all the information someone needs to tell me how to retrieve Finale plug-ins. Thanks for considering if you did.

- Luke

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:19 am

Welcome to the forum.

Plugins are for the full Finale, only. They are not available for PrintMusic, sorry.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Luka Puka
Finale Version: v25, macOS Ventura

Post by Luka Puka » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:34 am

... Well dang.
I'm honestly surprised I didn't know that. Thank you for that answer, though. Plug-ins would be extremely useful.
I had used plug-ins on a computer at my piano school, which I really liked having to use, and I thought PM 2014 should've been exactly the same as that one, but apparently they have Finale 25; they just look very alike, correct?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:50 am

Yes. Unless you know what to look for, they look a lot alike. Finale is the first word in the title.

As a student, you are eligible for a reduced price for Finale. And since you already bought PrintMusic, there is a deduction for that, if you upgrade.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:56 am

PrintMusic is a reduced price version with reduced features accordingly. As said, you can upgrade if you need to full features.