Move mutiple barlines together

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Carlspost1
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Carlspost1 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:48 pm

Hi All,

Is it possible to highlight and select several barlines and drag them left/right in a group without losing the individual measure widths?
I want to move number of measures along the page (in a batch) but want to avoid moving barlines one at a time...
Many Thanks.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:05 pm

What effect are you trying to achieve? Perhaps there's another way of doing it. Dragging barlines just increases the width of the preceding measure.

Is there a measure before the ones you're moving? If so, why not make that one bigger?
Or are you trying to create an indented system?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:49 pm

I agree with BuonTempi.
What are you trying to achieve, and why?

The better we understand, the better we can help you.

Please explain.

Just a thought:
Has it something do to with the project mentioned in your your other thread - {Insert long Graphic in Scroll View} ?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:37 pm

In the Measure tool, you can select more then one barline handle and drag them. I occasionally do this, and it seems to work as expected.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Motet,
I tried that, and it moved multiple measures, but it resized them. It looks like the OP wants to maintain the size. So, like BT, I would like more information.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Carlspost1
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by Carlspost1 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:01 am

Hi All

Thanks you for your replies.
My request for this comes about as a result of a project in which I am synchronizing a score with an audio file.
The scrolling speed is at constant speed so I am adjusting the bar lines to fit. I have worked out a system in which I use a self made grid/ time ruler that I use as a point of reference.

I have set the page size and margins etc to create one long line of music- just like scroll view.

It is all working great and I am happy with the result.... but moving each barline individually is a bit tedious.
However if i could move groups of them at a time it would save a lot of time..(Like abacus beads!)

Im sure at some point I actually did this by accident but now can't find out how I did it....

Many thanks.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:09 pm

Carlspost1 wrote:… The scrolling speed is at constant speed so I am adjusting the bar lines to fit. I have worked out a system in which I use a self made grid/ time ruler that I use as a point of reference …
Instead of using a “self made ruler” you could also use a custom measure number style (Time… ).

Carlspost1 wrote:… moving each barline individually is a bit tedious.
However if i could move groups of them at a time it would save a lot of time …
1) You can select multiple barline handles via Shift-click.
Then nudge the selected handles with the arrow keys - or drag the handles.

2) Another problem is that the barlines must not be included in the horizontal spacing.
By default Finale adds spacing for the barlines (= a spacing gap before and after each barline), and you do not want that.
Do you know Jari Williamson’s plug-ins?
Jari Willianson has written some most useful plug-ins for Finale.
I am specifically thinking of the plug-in JW Conceal Barlines.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:18 pm

Carlspost1 wrote:I am synchronizing a score with an audio file.
So, you have an audio recording, and you want to match the scrolling playback of a Finale document to that recording? For a video?

Is it of the same music, or do they complete/complement each other?

You might want to consider just videoing Finale's scrolling playback and matching that to the audio in something like iMovie. That would be a lot easier.