Titling/groups problem

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Harpsi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Harpsi » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:52 am

Hello all,

I am using titling of movements by locking one measure to one system and blanking everything out with staff styles except the expression with "Nr x." It has some advantages. But recently I got a problem of group brackets showing up on this otherwise blank system.

I guess I can split groups at these points and delete the brackets, but this takes some time even with the JW Split groups plugin. Is there a more efficient way you can think of? I thought about hiding the bracket via staff styles, but I did not succeed with that.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Happy holidays,
another newly arrived from the Makemusic fora.
Finale 2014.5, Finale 25, Dorico 4, Musescore 4
Windows 11

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:26 am

There is an option to hide brackets when the group has only one staff.

For movement titling, I just use a custom Rehearsal Marks Category, and then add extra system margin Top and left to give it a bit of space and an indent. Or a page break.

Harpsi

Post by Harpsi » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:39 pm

Rehearsal marks is a good idea, but you won't get the spacing between movements automatically in score and parts.
The problem with the brackets is that I do need to show them also with only one staff...
Windows 11

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:34 am

It's true you don't get the automatic space between movements with an expression, but is that really a big deal? I assume you're dragging systems up and down anyway when formatting a part.

Harpsi

Post by Harpsi » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:40 am

Maybe not... Maybe I should rethink this. But usually it is enough to just run the Space Systems plug-in on the parts and it's done. So I still think it's worth the trouble when doing large works with lots of movements and many parts.

I solved this by splitting the groups which also took some time. Next time I will try to make one scratch staff at the top of the score that only holds the titles, no group and bracket. Then I think that is the staff that is going to show up instead of the bracketed one.
Windows 11