Dividing one part into two bracketed staves for divisi

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

oxford88
Finale Version: Finale 25.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by oxford88 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:21 pm

Hello,

I am currently engraving a piece of music for concert band which could benefit from what I refer to as a bracketed divisi. In this particular score, I have separate Flute 1 and Flute 2 staves, however, the Flute 1 part requires a divisi since there is a complicated solo part in voice 1 and whole note tremolos in voice 2. I was thinking that it might make the parts and score easier to read if i was able to divide the Flute 1 part into two different brackets; one for the solo flute and the other lower one for the rest of the section. I have attached an image of an example from some sheet music of what I would like to do. I know that this is definitely possible in finale since the example was engraved with it, I am just unsure of how to replicate it.

Thanks!

Here is the bracketed divisi example which as can be seen is a Clarinet 1 part which divides into two staves for one line and then merges into one stave for a few lines and once again divides. This is basically what I would like to accomplish with my score.
bracketed divisi example.PNG
bracketed divisi example.PNG (38.09 KiB) Viewed 3032 times
Finale 25.2
Windows 10

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:56 pm

The way to accomplish that in Finale is to create the entire doc with the two staves, and then hide the empty ones. Save this for the last step. Otherwise, as measures move around as you do the layout, your measures with notes may appear and disappear!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:53 am

In newer versions of Finale, measures never disappear--if a hidden staff has music moved into it, it will automatically be unhidden. (The converse (automatic hiding), alas, isn't true, something I've argued for for years.)

But you can add the empty staff and them immediately hide it everywhere, then unhide it where the solo is. You'll need to add it to the score and also add it to the part.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:29 am

I didn't know that. I guess I should read the update notes on occasion...

Thanks!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society