Getting Text to Show up by Part Only

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Bhujanga2
Finale Version: Finale 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by Bhujanga2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:59 pm

I'm trying to put instructional notes above the staff that apply only to particular parts. For example, there are certain measures which are to played only the second time through a repeated section. So, I want to put a note above measure 104 in the 2nd mandolin part that says "Play on second time only". I tried putting the note in while editing just the part, but it still propagates to all of the other parts.
The only work around I've come up with is to define new items in the Expression library and use those, but that seems cumbersome and messy to have to do for every note that I want to put in, and it seems like that would be what a Text function would be for. Is there a good way to accomplish this?
Thanks.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:06 pm

You can hide the text, unlink it, then show it in only the part needed. You can also move it off the page, unlink it, then move it back onto the page in only the part needed. Personally, the Expression method is much better. I use that method and it is much easier to control.

Better yet: make the text Measure Attached and it will only show up on the chosen part.

Zuill

P.S.: One advantage to using Expressions is that you can actually use them to get the playback to only work on the 2nd pass. If playback doesn't matter, then the Text Tool option is perfectly viable.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Bhujanga2
Finale Version: Finale 2012

Post by Bhujanga2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:21 pm

Thanks. I wasn't aware of the Attaching to Measure vs Page attribute. On researching how to do that I found that if you're in scroll mode it automatically does it by measure, so that pretty much solves it.

dankreider
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by dankreider » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:52 pm

+1 for text "assign to measure." I've ended up preferring this for most kinds of navigational instructions.
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly
General Editor at gracemusic.us

Christopher Smith
Finale Version: v.25.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by Christopher Smith » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, I see this mistake all the time.

Use the Text tool for titles, composer, page number, copyright, and the like, that are attached to pages. It should really be called the Title Tool, not the Text Tool.

For all instructions, rehearsal letters, tempos, indications of all sorts that are not chords nor lyrics, use the Expression Tool. Probably the category of expression you want in your case is Technique Text. These will automatically place themselves above the staff that you attach them to, and will stay attached there in the score and parts. You can duplicate them easily to the staff(ves) below or above by hitting alt-downarrow or alt-uparrow while the expression is still selected.

The only reason I can think of to use a staff-attached Text box instead of an expression is if you have some dialogue to insert, say in a musical or opera, that requires justification. The Text Tool can justify text, while the Expression Tool can't. That is the only advantage.
Finale 2014.5 and v.25 on Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:03 pm

A good point, Chris, and one I will take to heart!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:28 pm

I'm not sure it's necessarily the best solution, but I use measure attached text for stage directions. One has to make sure they are attached to something that won't disappear if 'optimized' (as it used to be called), copy them appropriately into the vocal score &c &c &c.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:27 pm

There are some layout designs that make Text blocks better than Expressions. Options in Expressions have gotten better over the years, though, so I am tending to use them for more text type situations, but measure attached text blocks have their use.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."