I need a tied unison note

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks. Fortunately, I don't find a need for such complexities as nested tuplets. This thread is going to save me many hours of time. I am elated.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:16 am

Thank you. You are an excellent teacher.

MatthewBearinger

Post by MatthewBearinger » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:36 pm

When entering music for four part harmony, as found in a hymn book, I come across this. Mind that I use a template while helping me out. When the soprano and alto for example sing in unison for two or more notes with unassigned lyrics to the second, it will naturally call for a tie, yes? So, having entered the two notes, let's say 2 dotted quarter notes, I use the double/split stem tool and add the appropriate stems... now for tying process. I have these two notes entered in V1; adding one tie is no problem, but is there a way to tie, (over and under), a SINGLE set of notes, without using a second voice...??? Same story in a default document...

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:06 am

Not really sure what the problem is. What template are you using? Why are you using voices, rather than layers? No offense, but do you know the difference between a tie and a slur? Why are you using the double/split stem tool?

It sounds like you want something like this...
Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 6.08.30 PM.jpg
Can you post a picture of what you're trying to enter? (You may not be able to upload a picture, until you have a few more posts. You can send it to me at wawoodman at aol dot com.)
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

MatthewBearinger

Post by MatthewBearinger » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:24 am

Tried emailing you a file using the template...