Best settings for exporting graphics into a word document

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BC69
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by BC69 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:23 am

Hi,
No doubt this has been asked many times before but... Any ideas / suggestions for obtaining the best results when exporting a musical example from FINALE and inserting it into MS WORD? Not just what could be the best format (TIFF / JPEG) but what thickness of stave lines etc are best used in Finale first for a very clear result. I need to insert musical examples in and around text in a word document as part a book that ultimately will be exported a s PDF suitable for hard copy and ebook.
Currently using FINALE 2014 on Windows but also have access to FINALE 25 in a week or two when I return to work.
All suggestions welcome.
Many Thanks,
BC

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by HaraldS » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Just some suggestions - It depends whether the graphics will be resized within Word, but if you don't resize, the basic staff line width should be okay.

I do export as JPG with 600 DPI. File sizes are small enough to sent them by mail to my clients. Usually, I don't include titles in the graphics, as in most cases the clients prefer to do them themselves in Word.

Harald
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:23 pm

Firstly: export as a PDF, which will be "vector", not "bitmap". TIFFs and JPEGs are not going to look as good, particularly if the image gets resized at all. A PDF from Finale will resize to any dimensions with no loss of quality, because it's a series of instructions, rather than a bunch of pixels. Also, if you're outputting a PDF at the end, then best to keep it vector. PDF files will be considerable smaller than high-res TIFFs or even JPEGs, too.

Word wouldn't be my choice for making a book or an ebook, though I believe it has improved over the years.