Finale Forum Store | Buy Sheet Music

Multi-movement works

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: miker, Peter Thomsen

Multi-movement works

Postby MusicalGriff » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:05 pm

I've just got to the end of my largest project to date: a two-act operetta. I thought everything was going well until it came to parts. In the end I had to extract parts rather than use linked (bug with grace note spacing) and the number of times I was performing the same task across all parts was hideous. I was wondering if I posted the sort of things I was coming across if people would mind giving some suggestions before I started my next:

[list=]
[*]titles of movements not moving with the music in parts, and being linked to the same page number as full score, necessitating retyping of each title individually.
[*]Rehearsal marks not appearing in default position despite being unlinked when inputted in full score.
[*]system dividers placed with plug-in changing music font across entire file, not hiding in parts despite being unlinked, necessitating individual deleting of signs in parts and font change for symbols individually in score.
[/list]

It felt like this should be a longer list but that's all I can think of at this time!

I'm willing to accept that to get a good product there will be lots of tweaking, I don't necessarily want a fully-automated process (it's where my distrust of Sibelius and now Dorico stems) but at the same time I felt I was doing so much so many times that I would have spent less time reinputting into Sibelius and have done better with the Magnetic Layout, so I'm sure there's something I'm not grasping. I'm also willing to believe that some of my problems might have been quirks to do with the template file I used that November provided.

I've never been able to find a comprehensive workflow/instruction on working with multi-movement files, so what are the main things to remember?

Am I also right to think that a better place to start is parts on individual staves and then reconcile them on one stave afterwards for the score?
MusicalGriff

Finale Version: 25.2
Operating System: Mac

Re: Multi-movement works

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor

Re: Multi-movement works

Postby BuonTempi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:34 pm

I have to say that Dorico's Flows, Layouts and Players will (in the future) be very powerful and make this kind of thing very straightforward.

However, for the time being, Finale still has much to commend it. For complex works, I usually create a "PARTS" file, which is duplicated from the finished full score (using ScoreMerger to join separate documents if necessary).

That way, I don't have to worry about the score being messed up by alterations to the parts. I can also have a running head that includes the part name, whereas "Score" in the full score is a bit odd.

This may seem like a duplication of labour, but actually, it gets the best of Linked Parts and separate docs.

Also, titles of movements need to be either Expressions or Measure-assigned Text, because they will appear on different pages in different parts.

Not sure about your unlinking problems: might need to see a document.
BuonTempi

Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac