Length of arpeggio signs

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Finale adds one or two extra links in its arpeggio signs, so that I am constantly adjusting their length. If they were one link shorter by default, the majority would be correct. And while I am now happy with the horizontal position setting for these signs, they still run into accidentals even though collision avoidance for articulations is checked. These issues are shown here:
Arpeggio signs.jpg
Arpeggio signs.jpg (16.83 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
Is there is any way of correcting these problems? I may submit this as a feature request at MM.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Ronald, thanks for sharing my frustration. I really should wait until later to adjust them, as you suggest, but they bother me so much I can't help myself! It may be my hand copying upbringing, where I was taught that "later" often means "never". I am trying to develop a work style using extensive macros that allows me replicate that everything-at-once philosophy. But it remains to be seen if that is anything more than a dream.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

Knut
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Knut » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Ah, yes, this is really annoying!

The only 'solution' I know of is to create a dedicated font with arpeggio lines of different lengths, and assign each one to a metatool. The late Bill Duncan's Finale Productivity suite had a font precisely for this purpose. However, this isn't really practical unless you have to enter a lot of them.

Come to think of it, since you're using a macro program, clip files might provide another way to solve this, although I haven't tried it, and it would be a bit of work to set up.

Rebecca Oswald
Finale Version: 27.2.0.142

Post by Rebecca Oswald » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:33 am

I share this frustration too. I keep a file that has sample chords with these rolls set up as I like, then use the filter to copy and paste articulations only.

Rebecca
iMac (2017) 3.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR34, OS 10.14.6;
Finale 27.2.0.142; Cubase Pro 12; GPO, JABB, C&MB; several EW libraries;
Roland A88, Estonia L210.

Knut
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Knut » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:16 am

Rebecca Oswald wrote:I share this frustration too. I keep a file that has sample chords with these rolls set up as I like, then use the filter to copy and paste articulations only.

Rebecca
This is how I pictured the clip files solution; by saving all necessary variations in separate clip files, they could be called upon and applied using a macro program.

Rebecca's solution is a bit more straight forward and much easier to set up, but with clip files you don't have to keep opening a separate document.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks, Knut and Rebecca, for some great ideas. Setting up such system would be well worth it since I do a lot of them.

And I am also going to submit this to MM. There needs to be an arpeggio style window so users can adjust the general behavior to their own taste.

Incidentally, Finale Forum users might want to submit their feature requests over there. There is genuine receptivity and interaction going on.
www.cantilenapress.com

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:13 pm

I've just spent two hours adjusting every arpeggio sign in a modest 314 bar 20 minute piece for three performers.

I've now posted about this over at John's thread in MM's feature requests. One lives in hope.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6