Measures missing from extracted part

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Alan Glasscock
Finale Version: Finale v.27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Alan Glasscock » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:49 am

I recently upgraded from Finale 2003a to Finale 25, so I'm still becoming accustomed to the new interface layout.
In attempting to extract a drum part from a big band chart, the extracted part is missing all of the measures in which I used a one-bar repeat staff style. For example: I fully notate one measure (like a simple time figure), followed by 7 bars of one-bar repeats. The extracted part does not show any of those 7 bars with the one-bar repeat sign. The measure numbers are still correct, but the part is missing measures where I used that staff style.I cannot figure out why this is happening.

I might also add that when I wrote a rhythm section chart using the setup wizard, no problems were encountered extracting the drum part, and the one-bar repeats showed in the part.

I am running Win10, 64-bit.

Any ideas why this is happening??
Alan Glasscock

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:58 am

I posted earlier, but then deleted my post because it was vague and incomplete.

There are several possible scenarios I can think of, but viewing the part is the only way for us to really investigate.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:30 am

In the drum part, click to the left of any staff with the Selection Tool so the entire part is highlighted. Right click on any measure and select "Multimeasure Rests > Create". Do you see the missing measures now?

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

zuill

Post by zuill » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:12 pm

I had originally posted that suggestion, but deleted it after I tested MM rests and one bar repeat signs. Those staff styles automatically broke MM rests. It could be that the were added in the score, but not in the parts. So, I thought seeing the file would confirm any suspicions. I hope we can see the file.

Zuill

Greensill
Finale Version: Finale 2012

Post by Greensill » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:54 pm

Make sure that you've "generated parts" in the "manage parts" part of the "documents menu". At least In 2012 if you don't do that the staff styles don't turn up.

Christopher Smith
Finale Version: v.25.3

Post by Christopher Smith » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:15 am

Greensill wrote:Make sure that you've "generated parts" in the "manage parts" part of the "documents menu". At least In 2012 if you don't do that the staff styles don't turn up.
DON'T DO THAT unless you haven't TOUCHED your parts yet! You will lose all formatting in all parts, and if you have set up voiced parts (two instruments on the same score staff split into their own parts) you will lose that, too.

The correct solution is to go to the score, select the Staff Tool, select all, and from the Staff Menu select Use Selected Staff Styles In Score And Parts.

THEN go to Edit>Multimeasure rests>Create for Parts/Score and select ALL parts and do it. Anyone who ever uses staff styles should memorise these two steps and do them after the score is done and before formatting parts.

MakeMusic should fix this damnable bug that has been there for TEN YEARS, ever since linked parts were first included.
Finale 2014.5 and v.25 on Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

zuill

Post by zuill » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:50 am

Let's wait for the file. We might be jumping to conclusions.

Zuill