Help! Finale quits on Print

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:12 am

Hi all,
When I go Print, the file immediately vanishes and a message says Finale quit unexpectedly.

This just started happening. I tried printing a default document and it did not quit.

Any help would be appreciated (urgently!)

Cheers,
Hector.
Fin 25 / Sierra

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:33 am

UPDATE:

I just tried to open the file in Finale 2014.5. I am greatly relieved to be able to print the file from that version.

I am really not sure why Fin25 has suddenly refused to print this file. I am hoping to proof read and make some adjustment to the score, so I will try to do edits in Finale 25 as I had been, and then open and print in 2014.5.

What a precarious way to have to work!

Hector.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:49 am

This is the kind of problem that resetting your preferences often fixes.

abutenko14
Finale Version: Finale v25.2

Post by abutenko14 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:16 am

I'm experiencing the exact same problem. It just shuts down when I want to go to the print dialog either via the menu or via command-P.
I tried resetting the preferences and it didn't help.
I don't have any older versions of Finale, so this is a huge problem for me. What to do???

abutenko14
Finale Version: Finale v25.2

Post by abutenko14 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:37 am

I just found a solution that worked! :-)

1. Open the document in question.
2. Choose File > Page Setup.
3. Choose Letter from the Paper Size drop-down menu.
4. Click OK.
5. Reopen the Page Setup dialog box (File > Page Setup).
6. Reselect your user-defined custom size, or choose Manage Custom Sizes to create the correct size.
7. Click OK.
8. Retry printing.

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:53 am

Motet: Thanks, I will definitely look into the preferences.

abutenko14: That is a very interesting solution that you found, abutenko14! Thanks, I will try that out. It is interesting because yesterday I altered precisely those Page Setup and Page Size menu items that you mention! However I accessed the page size menu from the Page Layout menu. Maybe Finale did not like that I changed the page size from letter to A4, although it did print ok afterwards, until it didn't! Anyway, I am glad that you found a soultion. I am still feeling relieved to have been able to rescue my situation by printing from 2014.5.

Best wishes, and thanks to all,
Hector.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:52 pm

It's a Hail Mary but it might work. Sometimes paths become corrupted and need to be rebuilt—here's how on a Mac:

Do a Safe Boot by holding the Shift key on startup. Eventually, you'll come to a login screen into your User account. Once in, it will rebuild all of your desktop icons. When done, restart normally. This takes a long time, especially with a mechanical boot drive.

This resets your caches to default and rebuilds any corrupted paths. If you noticed any blank alias icons, they should all look as they should now, too.

This is a normal maintenance routine that goes back to System 5 days. Before OS X, it was called Rebuild Desktop and it still does that along with other functions. I do it once a year on all of my Macs or whenever I see a blank alias icon.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro