PDF eighth note flag anomaly

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

shnootre
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by shnootre » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi all

This is my first post here, after 17 or so years on the makemusic forum. So...hi!

Wanted to check in about a very strange pdf-related anomaly. I sent PDFs of the score and parts for an opera to the company premiering the work. They printed and bound the materials, and have only just discovered a problem. On some, but not all, of the materials, eighth note flags (only with upward direction stems) are missing, so that unbeamed eighth notes look like quarter notes.

This was not a problem when I printed proofs of the materials, and it is also not a problem when viewing the PDF on a computer screen.

Anyone ever experience anything like this before? (they are planning now to send the materials out for printing, but I'm wondering if there's a lest costly fix possible).
Dan Sonenberg
www.danielsonenberg.org
Finale 25.5
iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017. 32gb ram, and OSX 10.13.6 and MacBook pro 2018, 13", 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram, OSX 10.13.6
Vienna Ensemble Pro, Logic X, and lotsa samples

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:10 pm

I'm not the expert on this (one or two others on the forum should have fuller ideas), but just possibly opening the PDFs in Preview and then saving them while in Preview (as opposed to the earlier process of Print to PDF from Finale) may help. It's at least worth a try. This has sometimes been known to be a fix for this kind of anomaly (as discussed from time to time on the old forum).
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:25 am

That did, in fact, seem to help with a problem I had, where the recipient wasn't seeing the dashed lines that I knew were there.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

shnootre

Post by shnootre » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:15 am

Interesting. The thing is, I think I essentially did that. I took all the PDFs I generated from Finale, and in the case of the part-books, resaved them from within Preview. Nonetheless, I will pass the suggestion along. Any more ideas? All are welcome!
Dan Sonenberg
www.danielsonenberg.org
Finale 25.5
iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017. 32gb ram, and OSX 10.13.6 and MacBook pro 2018, 13", 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram, OSX 10.13.6

mbhaub
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by mbhaub » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:46 am

What printer are you using? This may sound stupid, but I used to have a laser printer that would sometimes omit things until I learned the problem was the printer didn't have enough memory to handle really complex pages with lots of items on it. Happened printing mathematical expressions as well as Finale pages. Bought a new printer with vastly more memory and never had the problem again. Just a thought.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:12 am

The O.P. has a Mac, Ron. Different animal.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Ronald J Brown wrote: Does that mean that Finale pdf export works trouble-free on the Mac and that there are no other programs available for creating pdfs?
On the Mac, the OS has PDF generation built-in, so Finale simply sends its print output to the OS, and the OS makes a PDF. There is therefore less need for third-party software to do the same thing, and fewer products as a result. (They do exist, usually providing greater functionality to that found in the OS, e.g. Acrobat.)
As a result, generally, "if it's on the paper, it's on the PDF". However, because PDF is an interpreted language, it can represent the same data in different ways, and sometimes Finale manages to output something that non-Mac PDF parsers don't like. This is where the "Re-save in Preview" fix comes in.

It should be noted that Finale's built-in graphics tool PDF Export is equally flakey on MacOS as on Windows. :D

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:23 am

In my time, I've had friends who generated pdfs created on a Mac that others could not get to open and print properly. They would send the file to me and in Windows, I was able to get the proper result. So, at least with Finale, there seem to be issues with Mac getting the proper results with pdfs being readable by those without having the fonts on their system. Doesn't the Mac pdf built in feature have the option to properly embed all the fonts? Just curious. Also, aren't there third party pdf programs Mac can use? Seems to me that a third party program that gets the job done would be well worth using it.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:01 am

zuill wrote: Doesn't the Mac pdf built in feature have the option to properly embed all the fonts?l
OS X doesn't have the option NOT to embed fonts. It embeds all fonts by default, and that default cannot be changed. In fact, it doesn't have any options of any kind: it just converts whatever data it is sent into PDF. Any issue with PDFs not being parsed correctly will be due to some other issue, like glyph encoding, or some other quirk.

Finale does give different results if you Save As PDF or if you Save As PostScript and then 'distill' the PS file, either with Adobe Distiller or Apple's Preview. This is because Save As PDF converts the internal CoreGraphics data directly into PDF; the other method uses the intermediary step of conversion to PostScript, which has a more limited "vocabulary", and so irons out any subtleties or ambiguities in the data. Things like imported graphics wrk better via PostScript.
This suggests there's some problem in the way that Finale stores its data internally.

If you have a PDF from Finale that doesn't work, you should send it to MM, so they can assess the problem and fix it. I've seen problems with Smart Shapes in PDFs before. There may be other elements as well.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:37 pm

BuonTempi wrote:… Finale does give different results if you Save As PDF or if you Save As PostScript and then 'distill' the PS file, either with Adobe Distiller or Apple's Preview …
Actually there is a third way which may - or may not - give a third, different result (depending on the Finale version):
Graphics Tool.
Graphics menu > Export Pages…
where you can choose to export as PDF.

In the latest update of Finale v25 you can only get true black in PDF files from Finale v25 via
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:55 pm

As I said, Finale's own Graphic export PDF mechanism is not without its own faults.

Finale hasn't done 100% K Black for many years, but 25 is certainly better than before.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:22 pm

Since CutePDF, for example, is available for Mac, it would be worth trying when all else fails. Just a suggestion.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet

Post by motet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:10 pm

Is there really a Mac version of CutePDF? I didn't see it on their website. I see references to CutePDF and Mac on other web pages, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Ronald J Brown wrote:
motet wrote:The O.P. has a Mac, Ron. Different animal.
Does that mean that Finale pdf export works trouble-free on the Mac and that there are no other programs available for creating pdfs?
Basically, yes.

There are third party cheapo .pdf tools for the Mac. I've never found one worth the time and effort, however. All use the Mac OS distiller, including Adobe Acrobat Pro.

I have and use Acrobat Pro. It's expensive but has functionality missing in Preview. None of the cheapware can match it. Preview can do nearly everything I want but Acrobat Pro is much faster and the time savings is well worth the money, IMO. For the tasks where there is no time savings, I use Preview.

I'm pretty certain that either the OP or the person on the other end has a font problem. Since he can see it and the other party can't, I think I know where the problem lies.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
BuonTempi wrote:… Finale does give different results if you Save As PDF or if you Save As PostScript and then 'distill' the PS file, either with Adobe Distiller or Apple's Preview …
Actually there is a third way which may - or may not - give a third, different result (depending on the Finale version):
Graphics Tool.
where you can choose to export as PDF.

In the latest update of Finale v25 you can only get true black in PDF files from Finale v25 via
Then there's that.

Some MM support engineers apparently don't seem to know that one yet.
Mike Halloran

MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1

shnootre

Post by shnootre » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:30 am

Hi all - I'm the O.P. - nice to see so much discussion.

In this instance, all the files were already generated, sent off, printed and bound before the error was discovered. I will take the advice about PDF generation to heart for the next project (going to postscript first seems to make sense).

As it stands, the company that discovered the problem sent out a few of the errant parts to a printer and they came back fine. And to be clear, the files show up correctly on their computer screen - but do not print correctly from their printer (not sure of the make and model of the printer - but the poster above who mentioned having a memory problem with a printer once sounded relevant).

I wonder if there's any step that could be taken with the already-created PDFs to get them to behave correctly (as they do on my printer, and on all of our screens).

Very strange. Not sure I've ever experienced a situation where what you see on the PDF on the screen is not, in fact, what you get.
Dan Sonenberg
www.danielsonenberg.org
Finale 25.5

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Do the Graphics Tool Export method above and see if that fixes you up for next time. It's a few extra steps but, if it works, it works. You can use Preview to glue pages together when necessary—if you don't know how, I'll post that (Acrobat Pro is so much faster but most people wouldn't buy it just for that).

On the official MM site there's an indication that Finale's Mac export to pdf is buggy in 25 (duh!) and that they finally intend to look at it (in our lifetimes?). The problem is in MM's api, not the Apple distiller.
Mike Halloran

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:15 pm

MikeHalloran wrote:Do the Graphics Tool Export method
On the official MM site there's an indication that Finale's Mac export to pdf is buggy
When you say "Mac Export to PDF is buggy", do you mean Save As PDF, or Export Graphic as PDF, because the latter contradicts your previous statement.

Can you post a link to the indication?

The safest way to make a PDF from Finale is to Save As PostScript first, then open that in Preview, or use Adobe Distiller. That will certainly ensure that what you get on the paper, you get on the PDF.

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:19 pm

BuonTempi wrote:
MikeHalloran wrote:Do the Graphics Tool Export method
On the official MM site there's an indication that Finale's Mac export to pdf is buggy
When you say "Mac Export to PDF is buggy", do you mean Save As PDF, or Export Graphic as PDF, because the latter contradicts your previous statement.
I see no contradiction in what I wrote.
BuonTempi wrote:Can you post a link to the indication?
Nah... It's a time-consuming pain to search that. I'll let you do it. You'll know it when you see it... a couple of weeks ago if memory serves me.
BuonTempi wrote:The safest way to make a PDF from Finale is to Save As PostScript first, then open that in Preview, or use Adobe Distiller. That will certainly ensure that what you get on the paper, you get on the PDF.
I'm pretty certain that the last time I did it that way was in OS 9, perhaps with Finale 2002, maybe? When Apple incorporated a .pdf distiller in OS 10.2, I never looked back.

I did a lot of work with Apple to fix the scanning, file import and printing and .pdf issues that plagued the OS from 10.7–10.8.1. It's worked quite well at the OS level since 10.8.2.
Mike Halloran

motet

Post by motet » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:46 pm

I suspect there's a confusion in terms. What does "export to PDF mean"? "Print as PDF"? "Save as PDF" (per BuonTempi--does such a thing exist?)? The term "Export" is only used in the Graphic tool, no?

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:35 pm

motet wrote:I suspect there's a confusion in terms. What does "export to PDF mean"? "Print as PDF"? "Save as PDF" (per BuonTempi--does such a thing exist?)? The term "Export" is only used in the Graphic tool, no?
In Finale, with regards to .pdf, yea.
Mike Halloran

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:33 am

MikeHalloran wrote:I see no contradiction in what I wrote.
Mike, in the same post, you seem to suggest or advise that people use Finale's Graphic Tool Export to PDF, and then say "Mac PDF Export is buggy". Hence my asking if you mean that Finale's Graphics Tool Export is buggy, because it would be odd to recommend something that doesn't work well.

OS X's built-in PDF mechanism is "Save As PDF", and I would suggest traditionally more reliable than Finale's Graphic Export.

I hope you'll see that I'm not being needlessly pedantic, but merely asking for accurate terminology to avoid being confused or misunderstanding what you write.

With regard to PostScript, I've already outlined why this method does have advantages over Save As PDF directly. It's still the only way to get imported EPS images within a Finale document displaying accurately in a PDF. Also, as you may know, Apple have fairly massively re-written PDFKit in Sierra, and the quality of the changes has not been well received by developers.