Broadway Copyist Text Hard Space

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:21 pm

johnmouse wrote:...it took me 20 minutes (which I'll never get back) to set my preferences back to what I wanted
If you have occasion to try clearing preferences again, move finale.ini to the trash first, and if resetting preferences doesn't solve the problem, restore it from the trash. This should save you work, though as I noted elsewhere, the toolbar locations and states seem to be stored in the Windows registry but get trashed when you reset preferences, so you'll still need to do that. Perhaps someone needs to investigate backing up and restoring that part of the registry.

Resetting preferences seems to be MM support's first answer to anything, no matter what. It's really buggy behavior that the "preferences" get corrupt anyway. Perhaps they should separate user preferences from whatever else it is they store in there. It would also be good to add a "restore preferences" function for when resetting doesn't work (which is probably a good deal of the time).

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:46 pm

motet wrote:If you have occasion to try clearing preferences again, move finale.ini to the trash first, and if resetting preferences doesn't solve the problem, restore it from the trash. This should save you work, though as I noted elsewhere, the toolbar locations and states seem to be stored in the Windows registry but get trashed when you reset preferences, so you'll still need to do that. Perhaps someone needs to investigate backing up and restoring that part of the registry.
I use Macintosh, so maybe my suggestion will not work for Windows. On Mac (Up until v25, about which later) the preferences are stored in a file called "Finale 2014.5 Preferences", or whichever version number you're using. Once I have my preferences set the way I like them, I make a zip archive of the active preference file and store it right in the Preferences folder - the archive appears underneath the active preference file. If I ever need to trash the prefs, I throw them away and open the zip to install a clean, correct set, restart Finale, and I'm good to go.

I have no interest in v25, but understand the location and format of the prefs has changed. I don't know whether my method will work. Would anyone be able to explain if there is a file associated with the v25 preferences, and maybe test my suggestion?

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:25 pm

It looks like on Windows the toolbar states for Finale 2014.5 are stored in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MakeMusic\Finale2014.5\Finale. I think I'll save a backup of this.

johnmouse
Finale Version: 27

Post by johnmouse » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:23 pm

Ha!!

"After further testing, I have been able to replicate your issue in multiple versions of Finale. Initially I was not replicating your results, however this is an issue with the Broadway Copyist and Jazz fonts. While there's not an immediate fix for this problem, there is a workaround. You can use a different command for the hard space (for example using character 202 as an alternative space), then when you need to use a hard space with this font hold down Alt + 0202 on the number pad."

I wonder if they'll fix it in the next update? I won't hold my breath.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:33 am

Didn't we already come up with that workaround? They could have saved time by reading this forum.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

johnmouse
Finale Version: 27

Post by johnmouse » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Not to mention that I received an answer on this forum in less than a half hour from my first post, vs. one day from MM tech.