Smart line questions

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 27.4.1.146
Operating System: Mac

Post by gogreen » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:35 pm

I've created a smart line, "greatly slowing," with dashed lines and a hook. The smart line appears only on the top line of my score (my choice). First, is there a way to include this smart line in the parts without having to include it in each part manually? I know I could have created an expression for "greatly slowing" with dashed lines, which I could set up to appear in each part, but I used the smart line instead so that the length of the dashed lines and hook would vary appropriately with the layout.

Second, should the fermata go above the smart line?
Attachments
smart line.PNG
smart line.PNG (7.82 KiB) Viewed 13064 times
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.6
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:58 pm

I don't think there's any reason to put the dashed line since there's both a double bar at the end and a fermata. it's quite clear that it's slowing until that point.

As for the actual smart line, when I need to insert on in score/parts I usually resort to adding it in the score for all parts and hiding the ones I don't want to appear after first un-linking them in score and parts.

One thing to be careful about: if you are writing a piece for instrument with piano accompaniment, and follow the usual engraving convention of having the instrument part be in a smaller size staff than the piano part, there's a glitch of sorts that makes smart-shape lines act differently between the two staves. With any staff that has been resized, the space between the text and the subsequent line will vary according to the degree of resizing. I've had to resort to making a duplicate set of expressions with smart shape lines for those instances, with the distance between text and line adjusted to make up the difference.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:00 pm

I think your only choice is to copy the smart shape down to all of the score staves and manually hide those you don't want to appear on the score, leaving them on parts only.

Is the dashed line really essential? You maybe could get away with an expression that says "greatly slowing to end". Another way of looking at it is that "greatly slowing" in this context means a constant slowing to the fermata, only 1 1/2 measures.

Dashed line should be above the fermata, in my opinion.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

gogreen

Post by gogreen » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:24 pm

I chose just "greatly slowing" as an expression. Thanks, Michel and N.
Art
Finale 27
MacOS Ventura 13.6.6
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:27 pm

The ability to assign smart shapes to score lists is an oft-requested feature.

gogreen

Post by gogreen » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:07 pm

The ability to assign smart shapes to score lists is an oft-requested feature.
Definitely. I may have to go request that. I've wanted that for a long time.
Art
Finale 27
MacOS Ventura 13.6.6

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:24 pm

When dashed lines follow directions like cresc. or "greatly slowing", there is no vertical ending hook, because there is no exact ending as exists with an 8va and it is awkward to try to impose one, as in this case.

And using the word "slowing" removes the need for a dashed line since you are specifying an ongoing process. You might also write "gradually slowing to the end."
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

gogreen

Post by gogreen » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks, Motet and John, for the additional comments.

Hijacking my own thread, "greatly slowing" is my translation of "assai ritenuto." I decided to have all written expressions and playing directions in my works either in Italian or in English. Does anyone else find mixing two languages inappropriate?
Art
Finale 27
MacOS Ventura 13.6.6

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:31 pm

gogreen wrote:… … I decided to have all written expressions and playing directions in my works either in Italian or in English. Does anyone else find mixing two languages inappropriate?
German and French scores do it all the time, and I certainly do it freely with English & Italian, plus the very occasional French direction (eg for the harp). I think it's a personal choice, or perhaps sometimes 'house rules'.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:40 pm

gogreen wrote:Hijacking my own thread, "greatly slowing" is my translation of "assai ritenuto."
except "ritenuto" isn't an act of getting slower. it is a sudden holding back of the tempo.
in French it translates to "retenu" (held back).
In other words, it isn't a gradual process.

I think the expression you require is "ritardando" or "rallentando".

you would use "ritenuto" for a short passage that is suddenly slower than the surrounding music.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

gogreen

Post by gogreen » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks, David and Michel.
Art
Finale 27
MacOS Ventura 13.6.6

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:37 pm

I think that the in-score performance directions should be in universally understood terms, the standard Italian ones. Using other languages creates a needless barrier between composer and performer. Non-English, -French, -German speakers may have to get out a dictionary to understand what you want. However, footnotes, prefaces etc. might be in the language of the composer with translations into other languages such as English.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

gogreen

Post by gogreen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:11 pm

I think that the in-score performance directions should be in universally understood terms, the standard Italian ones. Using other languages creates a needless barrier between composer and performer. Non-English, -French, -German speakers may have to get out a dictionary to understand what you want. However, footnotes, prefaces etc. might be in the language of the composer with translations into other languages such as English.
Good point, John. Thanks. The piece to which I'm referring is for students--young players. Still, it might be beneficial to use standard Italian directions as a teaching tool. I'll have to think about this. I may have to go with the house style, depending on the publisher.
Art
Finale 27
MacOS Ventura 13.6.6

David Ward

Post by David Ward » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:54 pm

John Ruggero wrote:I think that the in-score performance directions should be in universally understood terms, the standard Italian ones. Using other languages creates a needless barrier between composer and performer. Non-English, -French, -German speakers may have to get out a dictionary to understand what you want. However, footnotes, prefaces etc. might be in the language of the composer with translations into other languages such as English.
I'm a wee bit inclined to disagree with this.

I think composers are sometimes clearest when they express their directions in whatever way is most idiomatic to them. This sometimes causes less misunderstanding than loosely used musical Italian (particularly when the performers are Italian and understand the directions too idiomatically!). For myself, I use the universal Italian musical terms and abbreviations for dynamics and the like, but when I use Italian terminology for main tempo directions, I am saying something extra by such use. It's worth noting in this context that many Italian opera composers use idiomatic Italian, rather than the (occasionally archaic) musical Italian. One might also have a problem with a term like Allegro for a tempo direction, as something in the accepted Allegro tempo range might be very far from Allegro in mood and feel &c &c &c.

This is multi-faceted, so that different rules and practices suit different music and composers. Wagner or Mahler might not seem to be Wagner or Mahler if many of their directions were not in German, with its subtle (and not so subtle) differences from Italian in 'feel'. Similarly, Debussy without directions in French might almost seem a slightly different composer.

Best, perhaps, not to have too rigid rules for this.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

David Ward

Post by David Ward » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:17 pm

To expand slightly:

Some of my own scores have libretti and stage directions in English. Rightly or wrongly, I feel that many of the musical directions (far from all, though) feel more fluent if they are also in English. However, sometimes I use an Italian direction that one might associate with late 19th century or 20th century Italian opera. eg I regularly use col canto rather than the more widely used colla voce as it should hint to all involved the type and amount of vocal freedom that is expected.

As for Italian composers' use of Italian, here is just one example. Puccini normally has uniti rather than the musical Italian convention of unis. or unisoni.

I think we should all be allowed our own style for this, as long as it's not obscure or confusing to the expected performers. Unfortunately, in parts of the English speaking world, performers sometimes leave music college with a fairly modest understanding of musical Italian outside the most basic and widely used terms. In other words, it seems one can't win, so one might as well do what suits oneself (within reason).
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:39 pm

"Greatly slowing" does sound like a literal translation, rather than idiomatic speech. Would you say "you should be greatly slowing here"...? :D

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:17 pm

-
Last edited by motet on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:12 am

BuonTempi wrote:"Greatly slowing" does sound like a literal translation, rather than idiomatic speech. Would you say "you should be greatly slowing here"...? :D
Great point. "Molto ritardando al fine" and all has been accomplished, including the education of the young.
www.cantilenapress.com

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:06 am

John Ruggero wrote:… "Molto ritardando al fine" and all has been accomplished, including the education of the young.
Or "Assài ritardando al fine".

(Assài is an adverb)
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

David_
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by David_ » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:43 am

Does anyone else find mixing two languages inappropriate?
Benjamin Britten does it frequently (see Midsummer Night's Dream for instance - particularly Act 3). If it be good enough for him, why not?
Finale 27.3
macOS Monterey
TG Tools Pro
JW Plug-ins
Robert Patterson Plug-ins
Perfect Layout

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:04 pm

David, I have been "greatly thinking" about your comments and your excellent points. Obviously, composers must do what they think best to get their ideas across, and I agree that if the information to be provided is complex and/or extensive, then one must use one's native tongue.

But looking at it from the point of view of a performer and teacher who sees daily how students ignore unfamiliar terminology, I feel that the standard terms should be used for the standard stuff, at least in concert music aimed at an international audience. The use of other languages, like Beethoven's short-lived foray into German, or several well-known American composer's use of English, seems to me to be of an extra-musical nature and not worth it.
www.cantilenapress.com