One day, Finale will sing the lyrics

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:26 am

Hi all,

Imagine this.... We use the technology behind the very impressive speech capabilities of Siri and similar apps that speak (like Google translate app) and apply it to the lyrics tool in Finale.

Now, at the moment, the vocal sounds in Finale are oohs and aahs, but imagine if you were to click play and hear the lyrics sung back to you! Even if, in the early days, it might sound a bit robotic, one day it might just begin to be as good or better than the quality of orchestral instrument playback.

Just putting this idea "out there".... for what it's worth!

Hector Pascal.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:36 am

Are you sure it can't be done now? I thought that there were articulated libraries that will work with Finale.

Here's a discussion of some of the ones out there. No idea if any of these can be made to work:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=440419
Last edited by MikeHalloran on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Hector Pascal » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:40 am

I'll have to check that out!
HP.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:22 am

Having it sing a la Stephen Hawking is possible now. But something that sounds real, probably indeed a ways off.

I have an early voice synthesis device called DECTalk from the middle 1980's. I'm not sure if it works anymore. You could feed it text and it would speak it a la Hawking (I think he in fact uses a version of DECTalk), but it could also be programmed at a lower level and of the things it could do was sing. It was very odd-sounding--vaguely frightening!

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:33 am

Some of Myriad's products already do this. It's very synthetic and borderline hilarious.

Because your brain is so attuned to subtleties in human voices, if it isn't perfect, it sounds ridiculous. Even when sentences are put together from individual spoken words in automated announcements, it sounds awkward. "Your next train will be inTEN ... minutes."

Getting a computer to sing a phrase (rather than just a succession of speech phonemes at different pitches) would require some serious real-time processing to generate the whole thing in one go.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:08 pm

I have heard a couple of pieces done with Myriad that weren't too bad, although they would never be mistaken for a human. There are ways that Virtual Singer can be tweaked to make it more realistic.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society