Has anybody heard?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

NickG
Finale Version: 25.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by NickG » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:09 pm

N Grossingink wrote:Nick, it appears you are using Dorico and seem to be enthusiastic about its present output and its potential to become a top music engraving application.

Do you know whether Steinberg offers samples of Dorico's output as regards "real world" music engraving? I'd like to see, let's say, several score pages of a Brahms symphony and a few pages of a 1st Violin part. Or, any other music of comparable density and style of notation. Thus far, I have found it difficult to find examples that truly show the software's capabilities.

N.
Sorry I don't. Maybe you can find some samples on the Dorico Forum. I'm in the process of re-engraving my own compositions at the moment (not ready to post yet). But I can tell you that i'm very impressed with the results so far. I find i'm saving loads of time formatting and adjusting, Dorico just seems to be doing it right. I'm excited about Dorico because if the current (infant) version is any indication of what Dorico will be when its full grown, then I think Dorico will be awsome.
MacBook Pro Retina Display, 16 gig ram, 1TB SSD. 4TB External drive
MacOS Sierra
Finale 2008, 2010, 2011b, 2012a, 2012c, 2014d, 25.2
GPO 4
Sibelius 1, 2, 3, 7.5 8.5
Dorico
Logic Pro X, Cubase 9
UR44 Korg M1, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
Adobe CC

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:17 pm

Does Dorico let you enter some music then get playback of what you've entered easily?
Is it only an engraving tool, or does it also have potential as a tool for composers?
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

NickG
Finale Version: 25.2

Post by NickG » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:40 pm

Michel R E wrote:Does Dorico let you enter some music then get playback of what you've entered easily?
Is it only an engraving tool, or does it also have potential as a tool for composers?
Yes. It's in the "Write" tab. all you do is click the note and hit "P". It plays from that point. Hit "P" again it stops. Hit "P" again and it starts from the point you initially selected the note. I'm a composer and I love that feature.
MacBook Pro Retina Display, 16 gig ram, 1TB SSD. 4TB External drive
MacOS Sierra
Finale 2008, 2010, 2011b, 2012a, 2012c, 2014d, 25.2
GPO 4
Sibelius 1, 2, 3, 7.5 8.5
Dorico
Logic Pro X, Cubase 9
UR44 Korg M1, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
Adobe CC

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:45 pm

I love Finale's ability to do just about anything, including adjusting any symbol and making one's own symbols in the Shape Designer. I wish it had better defaults and fewer collisions and so less manual tweaking, but until Dorico has Finale's complete customizability I'm not interested.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:35 pm

There must be an updated version because the demo I d/l did not allow editing of parts. I, too, am not willing at this point to invest the time and $600 to a new platform. But I do like to see what the competition is doing. Sib and the almost clone Dorico doesn't interest me so I am hopeful silence is golden at MM. And Jari is working on or with MM to do great things.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Knut
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Knut » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:18 pm

I've purchased and worked a bit in Dorico, and I can vouch for it's great functionality in many respects. Dorico still lacks many important features and is no match for Finale in terms of flexibility at this point. It does, however, already blow Finale away in certain areas, which might be decisive for some users.

Dorico's current usefulness would really depend on the work you do, and the amount of customization you can live without. In time, though, I'm fairly optimistic that it will reach a good balance between automation and flexibility, as well as many unique features which will be very hard for Finale to replicate.

Perhaps above all, witnessing the efficiency and openness of the Dorico team and, in most cases, their thoughtfulness in feature implementation, should be the envy of any long time Finale user.

As for parts, it is a concept foreign to Dorico. It deals in layouts, for which you can setup as many different ones as you want for any number of players and each section of music. In many respects, Dorico's concept allows you much more freedom and flexibility with regard to editing parts independent of the score (or each other). It's just that, for many users, Dorico's unmatched settings and automation algorithms will mean that you won't have to do much editing at all.

Michaelb
Finale Version: Finale25

Post by Michaelb » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Knut wrote:I've purchased and worked a bit in Dorico, and I can vouch for it's great functionality in many respects. Dorico still lacks many important features and is no match for Finale in terms of flexibility at this point. It does, however, already blow Finale away in certain areas, which might be decisive for some users.

Dorico's current usefulness would really depend on the work you do, and the amount of customization you can live without. In time, though, I'm fairly optimistic that it will reach a good balance between automation and flexibility, as well as many unique features which will be very hard for Finale to replicate.

Perhaps above all, witnessing the efficiency and openness of the Dorico team and, in most cases, their thoughtfulness in feature implementation, should be the envy of any long time Finale user.

As for parts, it is a concept foreign to Dorico. It deals in layouts, for which you can setup as many different ones as you want for any number of players and each section of music. In many respects, Dorico's concept allows you much more freedom and flexibility with regard to editing parts independent of the score (or each other). It's just that, for many users, Dorico's unmatched settings and automation algorithms will mean that you won't have to do much editing at all.
Hello Knut,

I too have found and agree with this. :)

I am a long-term Finale user presently with finale 25.2 but decided to look at Dorico. I was quite taken back by what I found; it truly is a beautiful notation editor presently on its third release. It is so intuitive and user-friendly to use.

Now, when I turn on my computer each day I'm finding that it's Dorico I work with. Having used and supported Finale for so long I didn't expect I'd be writing this. I have no doubt that when more of its intended features are added in Dorico is going to be the leading notation editor. This is going to be big!

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Here's MM's statement on Jari and the state of plug-ins

http://www.finalemusic.com/blog/wheres- ... -plug-ins/

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:44 pm

The Finale blog post explains and reassures.

I think we have to be patient and in the meantime either use F 2014.5, or if practical work in F 25 then open the files in 2014.5 to apply the JW plug-ins.
Last edited by David Ward on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:48 pm

I've come to the conclusion that the time spent writing furious posts on the internet about it could be better spent typing a series of repetitive keystrokes to perform some operation manually.

David Ward

Post by David Ward » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:03 pm

BuonTempi wrote:I've come to the conclusion that the time spent writing furious posts on the internet about it could be better spent typing a series of repetitive keystrokes to perform some operation manually.
I sometimes feel that the time I've managed to save via JW Change might almost be enough to type the entire internet :)
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:34 pm

"...Two critical groups of the Peaksware organization, Alfred Music Publishing and our SmartMusic Repertoire Development, rely on these and other third-party plug-ins to develop content. …"

If it's that important (and we already know that it is), any excuses for not bringing this stuff in-house years ago and assigning a team to it are lame.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

motet

Post by motet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:20 pm

Thanks for reporting that, BounTempi. They say, "We would like to thank Michael, Tobias, Robert, and Jari" for developing plug-ins. Who is Michael? Michael Good?

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:28 am

motet wrote:Thanks for reporting that, BounTempi. They say, "We would like to thank Michael, Tobias, Robert, and Jari" for developing plug-ins. Who is Michael? Michael Good?
Could be, Dolet 6.9 works with 25 even though it's still 32bit.
http://www.musicxml.com/finale-v25-2-musicxml-updates/

Technically, he's a VP and not an outside developer—unless one counts the fact that he doesn't live on Colorado.
Mike Halloran

musicxml
Finale Version: Finale v27

Post by musicxml » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:59 am

I was an outside developer when I started working on the Dolet MusicXML plug-in at Recordare in 2000. I didn't join MakeMusic until November 2011.

Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.

motet

Post by motet » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:28 am

Well thank you for the plug-ins!

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Bill Reed wrote:
Michael Johnson's last response on the feature request page was on 2/9. Not exactly forever...

To me, that seems like a long time, discouraging rather than encouraging.
This isn't exactly true. Please check the facts.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:59 pm

In my e-mail I've got this message:
You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic,
"Has anybody heard?" at "Finale Forum". This topic has received a reply
since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies
made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.
When I go to the forum I can't see any newer posts at all than the one from 'my last visit'. Why is this?
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

Knut
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Knut » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Michaelb wrote:
Knut wrote:I've purchased and worked a bit in Dorico, and I can vouch for it's great functionality in many respects. Dorico still lacks many important features and is no match for Finale in terms of flexibility at this point. It does, however, already blow Finale away in certain areas, which might be decisive for some users.

Hello Knut,

I too have found and agree with this. :)

I am a long-term Finale user presently with finale 25.2 but decided to look at Dorico. I was quite taken back by what I found; it truly is a beautiful notation editor presently on its third release. It is so intuitive and user-friendly to use.

Now, when I turn on my computer each day I'm finding that it's Dorico I work with. Having used and supported Finale for so long I didn't expect I'd be writing this. I have no doubt that when more of its intended features are added in Dorico is going to be the leading notation editor. This is going to be big!
Hello, Michael.

I know the Dorico team will be happy to hear that.

To clarify, while I'm certainly enthusiastic about it in many ways and certainly believe in it's success in the long term, I'm personally not able to use Dorico for serious engraving in it's present state. This has less to do with the major features not yet available, and more to do with the lack of flexibility which I eluded to above. That is not to say that I'm concerned with having any flexibility for flexibilities sake, but currently there simply are too many variables, even quite a few relatively commonly found in literature, which are simply impossible to recreate in Dorico.

I do think that Dorico's automation features are wonderful, and it does address a number of more minute aspects of quality engraving which Finale does not. However, truth be told, I do worry a bit about to what degree Dorico will succeed in allowing for enough variables to be a viable alternative for a lot of professional engraving.

Dorico's primary challenge, which stems from it wanting to solve as many tasks as possible in a semantically sensible if not entirely automatic way, is that it needs to allow for each notational possibility within a relatively stringent structure. Finale, on the other hand, is a much less advanced application than Dorico, which require a lot more input from the user in terms of manual adjustment to be able to deliver professional results. As a consequence, however, Finale is much more open-ended and can handle a lot more notational variables without needing to address each one specifically.

I do imagine that it's easier to gradually open up Dorico to an increasing number of variables than it is for Finale to successfully implement new aspects of automation within it's current code base, but even if this is a correct assumption, it will take time, even a lot of time, before Dorico will be able to match Finale's level of flexibility. Within that time, there's always the possibility for MakeMusic to modernize Finale's code enough to allow for the more advanced and detailed oriented features currently available in Dorico. At it's current speed of development, I find this unlikely, but it is nevertheless possible.

Time will tell whichever application, if any, will prevail in the market place, but I certainly wouldn't rule out Finale just yet.

fratveno
Finale Version: 26 and 2012c

Post by fratveno » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:57 pm

A very precise assessment! (But Dorico is certainly fun to play with)

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 am

"(But Dorico is certainly fun to play with)"

If you like Sibelius! :)
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:38 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:"(But Dorico is certainly fun to play with)"

If you like Sibelius! :)
Uh... yea...
Mike Halloran

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Jari has just announced that, with the help of an MM engineer, he's fixed some of the major problems that were holding up the Mac plug-ins.

David Ward

Post by David Ward » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Thank you very much for letting us know.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:51 pm

Great news : a bunch of the JW plug-ins for Finale 25 Mac (64 bit) are now available. Thanks, Jari !
http://www.finaletips.nu/index.php/down ... c-plug-ins
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua