Totally useless time consumption

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

OCTO
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by OCTO » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:26 pm

I have problem with some articulations. In the linked parts (but it happened in the score as well) some mordents re-position themselves without my knowledge. I think it is 10th time I clean up the same thing over and over again, since Finale repositions it every time I come back to the same page.
Some of articulations I move up, they go down; I position them well, but when pressing Cmd+D they appear elsewhere.

I think this score is my last in Finale.

Sorry to say, but I can't spend my entire life in endlessly moving manually things around in my scores trying to avoid all collisions and misplacing.

I have no more understanding for this. I feel pain.
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:52 pm

It sounds like the articulation settings used for your mordents are wrong. If you could post a file containing only a measure or two where you have this problem, maybe some of us could take a look and do some tweaking.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Jay Emmes
Finale Version: 25.4.1.164

Post by Jay Emmes » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:55 pm

I have similar experiences with -to my knowledge- all articulations. Manual repositioning works only until the next redraw of the screen. Also, redefining the default distance of an articulation from note head or staff is very rarely observed by Finale.
Running Finale 25.4.1.163 in OS X 10.11.6

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Odd things can happen if multiple layers are present, or cross-staff is used. I often create duplicates for those cases and choose Manually as the default posotion for those.

Seeing a file would help us to help, as has already been expressed.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Ere Lievonen
Finale Version: Finale 2010b

Post by Ere Lievonen » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:06 pm

This is the well known "dancing articulations" bug. It happens when articulations are on cross-staff notes, or on notes with flipped stems, or in multi-layer situations, and/or on reduced-size staves (I'm not sure if all of these apply, but these are good candidates). We all wish this would be fixed. But still, it is not worth getting desperate over.

First: you should remember that the positioning you see AFTER pressing cmd-D is the real one, and that is the positioning that will stick. If in doubt, I have a habit of pressing cmd-D quite often to be sure all positionings are OK.

Second: whenever I encounter a "dancing articulation", this is how I deal with it: Instead of dragging it, I move it by arrow keys, and I just keep the arrow key pressed so that it moves a LONG distance, MUCH beyond what looks like the right position (this is the important trick!). Then I press cmd-D: the articulation jumps someplace else, but that's no problem: I can now reposition the articulation accurately by using cmd-Z and cmd-Y. And it will stay put!

Sometimes, you have to move the articulation with the arrow keys in the opposite direction from where you actually want the articulation to go. Whether this is the case, you will notice as soon as you press cmd-D.

As mentioned, the issue may be mitigated by tweaking the settings in the articulation definition. But most of the times, the bug affects only a few articulations, so I find it quicker to just work around it in the manner described above, rather than to redefine the articulation settings.
Finale 2010b. Finale user since 1994.
Windows 7 & Mac OS X 10.9.5

OCTO
Finale Version: 25

Post by OCTO » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:12 pm

I have submitted the parts. It was really a nightmare.
After 30 years of development, Finale should act differently - to say, more intelligent. The automation requirement of applications has been in focus a lot last years.
Finale is far behind, perhaps still in 90's.

Why my articulations remove again, efter I positioned them?
Why do they move into opposite direction of mouse drag?
Why some lines and curves look differently at different zoom?
Why some items and lines/curves collide at system breaks?
And that is just a beginning. I have a very long list.
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:47 am

These might all be Mac related. I have complete control over everything I want to have control over with Windows. I don't rely on automatic settings. I customize all that I need to customize in Finale to get what I want. I'm not sure why others have these problems.

If you have a specific file that we might examine, possibly we can find the element that is causing errant behavior.

Zuill

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:45 pm

zuill wrote:These might all be Mac related. ...
I don't know. I'm not having this issue—but I'm running 25.2, not 2014.5.

Since 2014.5 is still supported, what does MM have to say about all this?
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:42 pm

I have seen the dancing articulation on Windows, but it was a long time ago. I assumed that the bug got fixed. But I guess not.
Last edited by motet on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Again, the moving articulations happen under certain conditions, usually with multiple layers or cross-staff notes. This can easily be fixed by using a duplicate articulation with a manual option, as opposed to above staff or below staff, or whatever.

Zuill