cue notes in parts: how to hide rests in layer 1

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

meb
Finale Version: Fin 25-26-27
Operating System: Windows

Post by meb » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:06 pm

For an orchestral score, I have generated allegedly linked parts. This has in turn generated a lot of other problems.

1-- Is there a way to get rid of all those "N seconds of rest" score markers in one fell swoop, or must I delete them individually?

2 -- In the Instrumental Linked Parts: Those measures showing cue notes also show rests in layer 1, making the cue notes measures harder to read.
I would like to have a global command that would hide rests in layer 1 if there are notes in layer 4. I can't seem to do this in Document options/Layers.

Is there another work-around that saves time?

3- When does "linking" occur? Is it in real time, like linked spreadsheets? Do I have to exit my score, save any linked part and then reopen my score? (Or vice versa?)

Thanks for any suggestions.
MB
Win 8.1, 64-bit, Ram 16G, 3.6Ghz
Fin 2014.5, Fin25, 26, 27
TG Tools Pro, NotePerformer 3.3
Garritan Inst. for Finale, Classic Pipe Organs
Kontakt 3, Bolder Sounds Amer. Folk
Logitech, Z533

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:14 pm

1) Not familiar with that feature--is it something you enabled?
2) There really should be whole rests there to indicate it's a cue. If they're obtrusive, you could move them up or down so it looks good. The "move rests" plug-in will do this. But if you insist and you created the cues with the plug-in, it created whole rests which can be removed. Probably the easist way is to go to layer one, select "show active layer only," and clear the measures.
3) It's all one file, and the linking happens dynamically.

meb

Post by meb » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi. Thanks for replying.
1- Finale has a great Plug-in for designating cue notes.
With a big score, finding the right places for cue notes is a huge time saver. It's Plug-ins/Scoring and Arranging/Smart Cues. You tell it how many measures rest to look for (or however you want to find big holes), and the plug-in runs through the entire score and locates the places with a hidden text marker: "*** N seconds of rest" in the instrument needing the cue notes. That's the easy part.

After that you have to look at those hidden text markers, or get rid of them, and I'd like to get rid of them all at once, just to make editing less eye-challenging.

2- IMO, the cues are enough to tell the player that he is not playing. They are 70% size, and each one says something like "Tpt." or "Bass Tbn." I find those enormous whole rests on top of the cues to be distracting, to say the least. On the other hand, I'm an organist and am accustomed to reading several lines above me or cue notes in my score that I'm actually not playing. I don't know how orchestral players feel about this. Maybe they would be very annoyed not to see whole rests hovering above cue notes . . .

3 I haven't seen evidence that my linked parts are linked. When I change the part file for the, say, contrabassoon, I can't find the change in the master score. What am I doing wrong?
MB
Logitech, Z533

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:32 pm

motet wrote:1) Not familiar with that feature--is it something you enabled?
Sounds like something that was put in by other software and came over in a MIDI or XML file. If they're expressions, double click to get to the expression dialog and delete "from the score and selection palette".

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet

Post by motet » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:55 pm

mebmus wrote:When I change the part file for the, say, contrabassoon, I can't find the change in the master score.
This is by design. Sometimes you want the part to look different from the score, so most cases a change in the part will affect only the part. To affect both, make the change in the score.

motet

Post by motet » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:57 pm

For the "n seconds of rest," maybe you can find them in the expression selection dialog and delete them there en masse.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:05 pm

mebmus wrote:… 3 I haven't seen evidence that my linked parts are linked. When I change the part file for the, say, contrabassoon, I can't find the change in the master score. What am I doing wrong?
From your description it sounds like you are not using the linked parts in your document, but rather creating extracted parts from the linked parts.

Extracted parts are separate documents - they are not linked to the score.

Linked parts are included in the score document - you have score and linked parts in the same document.
Very convenient when editing and printing!

To view and edit linked parts, use the Document menu:
Document menu > Edit Part > …
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

meb

Post by meb » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:11 am

Peter,
You SOLVED a lot of problems! Thank you, thank you.
I didn't see the option to edit from the document menu, so I kept extracting parts (what a mess they were!).
I will now have to retract my questions and hope it get easier from here.

:D
MB
Logitech, Z533