Unlinked items (flags) printing with edited color...

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Ikviakninoff
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by Ikviakninoff » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:25 am

I have Finale 2014 for Mac.
When editing my score I move some notes with the Note Position Tool and this unlink the note in question from the score. When the note is an eighth note, the flag turns yellow as its edited and unlinked from the score. This is not supposed to export as PDF with that color but every time I export the document as PDF it exports with the editing color only on the flag of the eighth note that has been moved with the Note Positioning Tool.
Just to give some extra info, I’ve already deleted the preferences, tried exporting as PDF unchecking the box so it doesn’t shows on the score the unlinked items with colors, and also I’ve double checked in my printing window that the document should export as PDF in Black and White...
I don’t know what else to do... Any ideas on how to export as PDF with the flags in black and white? This is the first time this happens to me...

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:46 am

Did you also try the Graphics Tool?

Graphics menu > Export Pages…

In the dialog Export Pages you can choose PDF.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Ikviakninoff

Post by Ikviakninoff » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi Peter,

I just tried the Graphics Tool and, besides exporting in a very poor unreadable quality (as PDF), it still exported with the flags colored with the “edited” color....
This is just too weird.... I has never happened to me before and I’ve used the Note Position Tool extensively before in many cases...

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Ikviakninoff wrote:… I just tried the Graphics Tool and, besides exporting in a very poor unreadable quality (as PDF) …
1) Did you view the exported PDF on the computer screen, or did you print it?

PDF is vector graphics = curves described in mathematical formulas.
Vector graphics will always print at the best resolution the printer can give.
This is unlike bitmap graphics which will always print at the actual bitmap resolution, no matter the printer.

I suspect that you were viewing on the computer screen a (low resolution) bitmap preview of the PDF, rather than printing the actual PDF file.

2) Your color problem indeed sounds weird.
Perhaps it is time that you open a support ticket on MakeMusic’s web site.
NB:
It is weekend now.
You may not get a reply until monday.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:19 pm

There may be more to this than all that has been reported, but if the pdf needs to be done before support can help, you can change the color of unlinked items to black in preferences. That might at least cure the immediate problem.

Zuill

P.S.: I'm guessing something else might be up as well. When unlinking from the score, the whole note should turn yellow, not just the flag. I've not seen the described behavior for just the flag.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Ikviakninoff

Post by Ikviakninoff » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:29 pm

Dear Zuill,

That actually solved the issue, at least until I figure out why is that happening. But once I changed the “Unlinked Items” color to black, everything exported to PDF quite nicely...

This is indeed a very odd situation... and I’ve encountered other people with the same problem and no one seems to know why is this happening... None of the other unlinked items export with their unlinked color, just the flags of the notes... its just bizarre.

Thank you so much for your suggestion!