MusicXML settings

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by mmike » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:28 pm

When exporting MusicXML files from Finale 2014.5 certain elements (such as instrument transpositions) don't seem to get saved correctly. I never use key signatures and any transposing instruments are transposed as "other" with the appropriate "chromatic" transpositions settings. When I open such a file in Finale everything seems fine, but in another program - such as, for example, Dorico, which is admittedly very poor in recognizing all XML (as well as MIDI) files correectly - the transpositions shown for these instruments are, although correct, using key signatures, confusing things a little. As far as I know there isn't anything to be done about this, but I wanted to ask anyway - is there somewhere a setting or plug-in that would make the transposition choices stick in an exported XML file?
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

mmike

Post by mmike » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:49 pm

I think I found the answer - Dolet 6 Plug-in for Finale seems to be it. Haven't used it yet, but if anyone has some experience with it, comments or advice on how to use it best, please let me know. Thanks.
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:26 am

Start here;

http://www.musicxml.com/dolet-plugin/do ... ase-notes/

Although the Dolet 6 plugin helps, you are still at the mercy of how well the other notation program handles MusicXML import/export. Of the 6 notation apps for which I have current licenses, only Finale gets transposing clefs right and it does so in 2011, 2014.5 and 25. It makes no difference whether I export directly or use the Dolet 6 plugin*.

Overture 5, for example, imports Finale created .xml 3.0 files pretty well (except for the transposing clefs). Export, OTOH, isn't so good—it can't export lyrics and most expressions—its still using an older version. Hopefully, that gets fixed someday. Notion 6 is pretty good. Encore's stuck at .xml 1 and can't handle lyrics and most expressions while MuseScore is ... well... needs a lot of work but it's free and worth every penny. SmartScore X2 Pro isn't quite up there with Finale but it's close—since I never import files into SS, I've never tested how well it handles octave clefs.
I never use key signatures and any transposing instruments are transposed as "other" with the appropriate "chromatic" transpositions settings
You'll have to tell us how well that works for you with the Dolet 6 plugin. I know that I'm curious but not so much that I want to create a test score in a style that I'll never use.

*Your signature does not show Finale 25. If using 25, the Dolet plugin will not work but it's not needed as all of its functionality is already built in.

Damned autocorrect keeps changing 'clefs' to 'chefs'.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

fratveno
Finale Version: 26 and 2012c

Post by fratveno » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:42 am

mmike wrote:When exporting MusicXML files from Finale 2014.5 certain elements (such as instrument transpositions) don't seem to get saved correctly. I never use key signatures and any transposing instruments are transposed as "other" with the appropriate "chromatic" transpositions settings. When I open such a file in Finale everything seems fine, but in another program - such as, for example, Dorico, which is admittedly very poor in recognizing all XML (as well as MIDI) files correectly - the transpositions shown for these instruments are, although correct, using key signatures, confusing things a little. As far as I know there isn't anything to be done about this, but I wanted to ask anyway - is there somewhere a setting or plug-in that would make the transposition choices stick in an exported XML file?
Either set the Key Sign to Keyless in Finale before you export, or, in the case of Dorico, enter a keyless KS there. (shift-K/open or atonal - you can also do it indiviually for each staff). In Dorico you will also have to select the whole score/staff (ctrl-a) and do Edit>Reset Appearance. This will fix accidentals and also stem directions.

mmike

Post by mmike » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:31 am

I never use key signatures and any transposing instruments are transposed as "other" with the appropriate "chromatic" transpositions settings
You'll have to tell us how well that works for you with the Dolet 6 plugin.
Exporting and importing from and to Finale works more or less well, although not quite as it was originally created in terms of key signatures. The imported file shows (by the way by default display in transposed view, not in concert pitch) basically a correct transposition, but not as "other/chromatic" - instead it show the (correct) diatonic transposition but with " hide key signatures and show all accidentals" checked. Clefs are also not always as originally chosen (bass vs. treble), causing some incorrect stem directions. Otherwise most other things (including lyrics) are all there. Font sizes in lyrics, expressions and text blocks are also not always the same.
Import into Dorico works OK in terms of notes, etc., but it does use key signatures, yet with the correct notes (e.g. if there was an E natural it still shows that in a Bb key signature, but not with a natural - so that's confusing of course).
Otherwise export from the built-in vs. the Dolet Plug-in XML feature seems to be the same. The Dolet feature of being able to export a whole directory of files into XML files, all at once, is a very good one.

mmike

Post by mmike » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:12 am

The Dolet feature of being able to export a whole directory of files into XML files, all at once, is a very good one.
After having converted many files now to XML, I should add that this feature seems to only translate .MUS files in the directory. MUSX files are ignored and need to be opened first and can then be exported individually. Too bad, since new Finale files are all saved as .MUSX by default (since 2014? can't remember)

musicxml
Finale Version: Finale v27

Post by musicxml » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:05 pm

MusicXML batch export converts both .mus and .musx files. The Dolet plug-in won't do this in Finale 2012 or earlier since those versions cannot read .musx files, but it should work with Dolet in Finale 2014 and the built-in MusicXML export in Finale v25.

mmike

Post by mmike » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:45 pm

As I said, and I'm sorry, but in 2014.5 the batch export converts only .mus files, it does (at least in my set-up, nothing unusual there as far a I am aware) NOT convert .musx files. For me, the plug-in converts .musx files only one at a time (after having individually opened them in Finale). Any ideas why (not)?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:52 pm

I tried "Translate folder of Finale files" with the Dolet 6 plug-in in Finale 2014.5 on a folder containing 3 .musx files. It opened one of them in Finale but then threw up the mysterious dialog below--what's "the other program"? After I clicked "Switch to" as suggested 8 times in a row, Finale closed without warning and there were no MusicXML files to be found. So it seems seriously broken on my system.
0121.png
0121.png (18.07 KiB) Viewed 6512 times

motet

Post by motet » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:06 pm

I upgraded to the latest version of Dolet 6 and it now works. Do you have Dolet 6.9, mmike?

mmike

Post by mmike » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:15 pm

yes, I have v.6.9 ... (and as described before, it doesn't work ... well, not quite as it it should, apparently)

motet

Post by motet » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:17 pm

Have you tried it on different folders? Perhaps there is a particular file that's uncovered a bug.

musicxml
Finale Version: Finale v27

Post by musicxml » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:02 pm

If the folder has both a .mus and a .musx folder with the same name, it will only produce one output file.

Aside from that, it is probably easiest to diagnose this if you open a support case on our site and attach a folder of files that demonstrates the problem. Is this on Mac or Windows? Which version of Mac or Windows?

mmike

Post by mmike » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Is this on Mac or Windows? Which version of Mac or Windows?
Win8.1 (is my signature with all this information not visible for some reason?)

Anyway, to test this further I have created a new directory in my Finale files, added at random (from various other directories) several .mus and .musx files (all with different names). Applying the plug-in procedure "Translate Folder to MusicXML" to that directory will create the xml files from the .mus files but not from the .musx files. I have also created a new directory with only .musx files (all different names) - there that procedure produces no xml files at all. I can, however individually create xml files from these .musx files (once they've individually been opened in Finale) with the plug-in "Export MusicXML" command.
If I have time, I'll open a support case at the XML site, but at this point I have exported all my files anyway, one way or the other, so for me it's actually a moot point now. I just wanted to point out a possible problem with this Plug-in.

motet

Post by motet » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:27 am

Can you double-click a .musx file to open in in Finale 2014.5?

mmike

Post by mmike » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:09 am

yes, no problem