Spacing of empty measures

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Is there a setting to avoid hand re-spacing of multi-measure and other empty measures in crowded conditions such as the following example. I would like all the playing measures to have more room at the expense of the empty measures.
Spacing.jpg
Spacing.jpg (19.19 KiB) Viewed 4252 times
I do have Minimum Measure Width set to 0 under Document Options>Music Spacing
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Not sure, but Jari's Spacing plugin has an option to leave barlines alone, once they're set the way you want them. Not sure if that will help for what you are trying to do.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks, Zuill. Is that the JW Note Spacing plugin? If so, I tried using "loose allotment" with the Fixed Barlines unchecked and the result was much better. But the multi-measure rest measures are still too wide.

However, there is a plug in called Space Empty Rests that does exactly what I want. Thanks for sending me in the right direction.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

Knut
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Knut » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Unfortunately spacing adjustment won't do much for mulitmeasure rests, as they have a constant width according to settings in document options (minimum measure width has nothing to do with it).

However, Jari has a plug-in, Space Empty Measures I think it's called, which will re-adjust the width according to the number of measures rest.

Changing your spacing algorithm might help with decreasing the width of the empty measures in your example, though. If you're using the default scaling factor, your whole note rests is given an excessive amount of space.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:50 pm

JW Space Empty Rests has an option to redistribute (respace) non-rest measures, so barring a better solution, you could perhaps narrow the rest measures any old way and then run that plug-in.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:51 pm

Thanks, Knut. I had found the plugin you mentioned already, which works like a champ, but will investigate scaling factors, something that I have been putting off for quite a while now.

Motet, the plugin works great without any hand work at all. Fantastic plugin.
www.cantilenapress.com

Knut
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Knut » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:28 pm

John Ruggero wrote:Thanks, Knut. I had found the plugin you mentioned already, which works like a champ, but will investigate scaling factors, something that I have been putting off for quite a while now.

Motet, the plugin works great without any hand work at all. Fantastic plugin.
Just remembered that if those measures are truly empty their width is governed by the minimum measure width rather than spacing settings. That said, any change in scaling factor will off course affect the full measures, which again will affect the width of the empty ones.

I use a scaling factor of 1.414 and find it much, much better than the default Fibonacci setting.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:07 am

I'll try that setting, Knut. Thank you.
www.cantilenapress.com