F25.2 Plug-ins Folder Location?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bkshepard
Finale Version: Finale 25.5, 26.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by bkshepard » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:19 pm

It's my understanding that the Plug-ins folder should be at ~/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale (that's also what's selected in the preferences), but I don't see it. All my plug-ins are grayed out in the Plug-ins menu in Finale. I do see a folder called "Plugins" inside the actual Finale app when I show contents, but it only has a few things in it. On Jari's site, he mentions that the Plug-Ins folder is hidden in OS Lion, but I'm on Sierra. Any ideas? I've tried installing F25 twice just in case the first one didn't complete.

bkshepard

Post by bkshepard » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:46 pm

Disregard!

Although the other folder are at User/Library, the Plug-ins folder is at Macintosh HD/Library/... My bad!

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:38 pm

Yes, some of Finale's component files are unique to the root level /Library folders, including the plug-ins (though the plug-ins can be moved to another location in Preferences > Folders).
The remainder are "Golden Master" copies of the Libraries, Music Files, FANs, etc, which get copied to the User Library the first time you run Finale in that user account.

Updates of Finale will update the root level library files, but not affect the copies in the User Library, which the user may have modified for their own purposes. It is therefore conceivable that if MM updates a FAN, you won't see the benefit if Finale is reading an older copy from your user Library.

It's kind of a complicated setup, but better than the alternative of Finale over-writing your files every update.

bkshepard

Post by bkshepard » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:17 pm

The really weird part, though, was all of the normal Finale plugins were grayed out in the plugin menu. I ended up deleting and reinstalling 25.2 and that brought them all back.