Concise and Unnatural Tuplets

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Waffington
Finale Version: Mac - MakeMusic 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Waffington » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi, I'm having difficulty figuring out how to get finale to notate a rhythm for a piece of mine.
The idea is rather straightforward--I could easily play it for someone and they would have it down instantly--though actually writing it out is proving to be exceptionally tricky when using computer software (e.g. Finale).

What I have is a sextuplet within a quarter-beat in the left hand, and in the right hand I want to fit six notes within the first and last sixteenth of that LH sextuplet. I've added a picture to show what I mean (Note: I've forgotten a sextuplet beam on the first figure in the RH; just know that that first sixteenth rest is actually a sixteenth-triplet rest, which correlates to the Ab below it in the LH). If it's still not clear, imagine the four sixteenth-triplets in the middle of each LH sextuplet to be a normal grouping of four sixteenth notes (not triplets); the RH figure would be a sextuplet within that grouping. So my figure is basically a sextuplet within a sextuplet.

The problem therefore is that I'm not just creating a tuplet, but fitting one into part of another already-existing tuplet (six notes within four sixteenth triplet notes), which I'm not sure Finale has a tool for. Perhaps a plug-in?

If anyone knows how to get this into Finale, please let me know.
I could also just fake the figure, but that's a lot more work and it wouldn't have a proper playback function, so it's all-around a much more annoying process that I'd rather avoid.

Thanks!
Attachments
Sixtuplet within Four notes of a Sixtupelt.jpg
Sixtuplet within Four notes of a Sixtupelt.jpg (136.66 KiB) Viewed 2615 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 pm

Like this? I did the RH nested tuplet in Speedy entry by typing Ctrl-6, entering the first 16th, then typing Ctrl-1 and picking six 32nds in the space of four 16ths, entering the six 32nds, then entering the final 16th. I broke the beams and flipped one of the tuplet numbers afterwards.
0127.png
0127.png (48.05 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
Last edited by motet on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:01 am

Another way to “skin the cat”.
This layout might be easier to read.
Attachments
Tuplet.gif
Tuplet.gif (4.1 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

OCTO
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by OCTO » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:13 am

Waffington wrote:If anyone knows how to get this into Finale, please let me know.
Motet has the solution. I would however avoid flagging the hold notes in RH.
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

Waffington
Finale Version: Mac - MakeMusic 2014

Post by Waffington » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks!

These are great answers.