Parameters for a piano gliss

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:21 pm

I have no problem entering a glissando within a piece of music. But I have a score where the gliss is at the end, from the last note, out. No matter what I do, I can't get it to play back. I've tried entering another measure, with a destination note, but it still doesn't work. Is it because it's coming off of a tied chord?

The missing rest in the bass clef is a publisher's error!

A couple of other glisses (glissi? glisso?) in the piece play back fine.
Attachments
gliss.png
gliss.png (18.83 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:54 pm

What I'm wondering about is the tie. It seems to serve no purpose. The accents on beat 3 would seem to indicate that the notes are to be "re-struck". Having said that, I realize that this may be non-negotiable as you might be preparing the chart for another person.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:18 pm

I don't get the accents/ties either.

but normally, dragging the glissando end point to the general area of where you want the playback to end should work.

**edit
I just tested this with Finale 25 (I don't often - or ever - use glissandi at the piano, it's an effect I loathe).

Having a gliss from the chord doesn't seem to work. if you place a single note it works, but with one caveat: it has to have a target to glissando to.

As for the rest at the end (either present or missing), logically, unless it's a VERY rapid gliss (that lasts a quarter note) placing a rest on the last beat would be erroneous. how long is the gliss supposed to last? only the length of the accented quarter? an indeterminate amount of time? fill out the measure?

All that said, by placing a target note for the part to gliss to, I get correct playback.
you can make a small note that looks like a quarter note cue note, and push it to the very last 16th note beat of the left hand measure if you want. the JWChange plugin is good for this type of thing.

a note on performing a gliss on the piano: glissandi are always performed with the hand/finger upside down (ie: the nail makes contact with the keys, not the fleshy part of the fingers). so in this case, a descending gliss would be played by the thumb, tucked under the hand, the nail taking the brunt of the contact.
This is one of the reasons the notation isn't quite logical here. the notation implies that the glissando starts from that held note position, which is not possible. on the violin this would be playable as no hand position change is required, the fingers just slide from the original position in the required direction. This isn't the case with the piano.
This also addresses the tied note with an accent on it, which is a physical impossibility at the piano.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:33 pm

There are short fall-offs (short gliss-like effects) in the Jazz Chord articulation library, several of them. I don't know whether they would solve your playback problem but they might be worth a try before hair-pulling sets in.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:27 am

I did it in a hidden layer and it worked fine.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."