Creating staff sizes based on pixel constraints

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Muraiki
Finale Version: Finale 2011
Operating System: Windows

Post by Muraiki » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:06 pm

Is there a way to create staves based on pixel count? For example, can I set staff height to 58 pixels and staff length/width (including brackets + instrument names) to 400, then have other notational elements conform to that space?

I'm using Finale 2011, but instructions for a later version, if necessary, are fine. Thanks for the guidance.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeHalloran » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:19 am

At what resolution? This is going to be different based on your monitor and AV card for display; printer settings for output. Since display fonts are no longer pixelated, I'm going to say, probably not.

So, you've told us how you think a task should be done. You've not given us a clue as to what that task is. What are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps there's another way to do wht you want.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

Muraiki

Post by Muraiki » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:00 am

MikeHalloran wrote:So, you've told us how you think a task should be done. You've not given us a clue as to what that task is. What are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps there's another way to do wht you want.
I need the output to be PNG, and the purpose of the specific staff size (in pixels) is to display uniform musical examples on a website. I'm trying to provide musical examples that fit a certain criteria for a web designer.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeHalloran » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:15 am

I can see how to do it using an intermediate app such as Photoshop or Pagemaker. I do such work on occasion and you can scale objects to the pixel and define dpi. I don't see how one would do this directly from Finale.

You can export a file as .png. That's not the issue. It's scaling the staff to the exact size in Finale. You might be able to set it up as a scalable tiff and convert from there.

https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fin ... phics1.htm
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

Muraiki

Post by Muraiki » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks! I figured Finale's sizing options were not that flexible. I'll see if I can get the desired effect with image editing software.