yamaha p-45 with Finale 2014 sustained notes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Miroliub Voinov
Finale Version: Finale 2012c.r13,Mac
Operating System: Windows

Post by Miroliub Voinov » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:53 am

Hi, I've got a new Digitalpiano Yamaha P-45 B. There is a problem with the midi, using it Finale 2014 on my older MacBook (2008, OSX 10.7.5.). Sometimes some notes sustain continuously, so I have to press again the key of the note which sustain, then it stops sustaining. Sometimes pressing a chord (5-6 notes) I don't hear all notes (both with SmartMusicSoftSynth and Aria Player). I tried two sustain pedals - the Yamaha (delivered with the piano) and a M-Audio SP-2. I don't think the sustain pedal is the problem. Till now I used always a M-Audio Keystation 88 midi keyboard with the Finale, there was never a problem with the midi. I installed the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver for Mac OS X (10.5.x - 10.9.x), but the problem still occurs. I was yesterday again at the shop, where I bought the piano. I tried a Casio CDP-130 BK, there is NO problem with the midi on Finale ... then I tried also the Yamaha P-115 B, the same problem as with P-45 B occurs. So, there is a problem with the midi "communication" between Yamaha and Finale. Could you please give an idea/advice what should I do?

MacBook 2008, OSX 10.7.5.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:56 pm

There was a bug that particularly affected Yamaha keyboards and some version of Finale, I seem to recall. You would do well to try the free update to 2014.5, at the very least.
You could try the MakeMusic support pages to see if you can find anything about it.

Miroliub Voinov
Finale Version: Finale 2012c.r13,Mac
Operating System: Windows

Post by Miroliub Voinov » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Thank you for the answer ! Unfortunately I cannot update to Finale 2014.5 on that computer. It's a MacBook, early 2008 (white), with OSX 10.7.5. I cannot update the system anymore on this hardware. The puzzle is that this MacBook I use only in my rehearsal room, where till now I had a M-Audio Keystation 88, using it mainly for composing on Finale (I'm a sax player) and sometimes for rehearsing with bands. Many piano players prefer to play on a keyboard with hammer keys, that's why I got the Yamaha p-45. I can still change it for another e-pinao in the shop, if I don't find a solution for the Yamaha to work properly with Finale, I'll get something else- Casio or M-audio oxygen. I'm still waiting an answer from Yamaha and from MakeMusic support, let's see.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:53 pm

If I remember correctly, some people did get a fix for this using a MIDI "pipe" or "filter" that filtered out some MIDI commands from the input stream -- probably System Exclusive commands.

I'm afraid that on nine-year-old hardware, you will increasingly come up against software compatibility obstacles and a lack of bug fixes in the products you can use.