Chord positions, copyable? Changeable en masse?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Harpsi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Harpsi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:26 am

Hello,

I am in the process of changing the layout on a score of mine. I have figured bass input as chords, and almost all baselines for the chords are changed on a system by system basis. I would like to be able to copy the positioning of chords from one system to another. Is there a way of doing this?

As it is, a measure that is moved to the next system will keep the chord positioning of the system it came from... I guess that is intentional. All I want is a way to change quickly.
Finale 2014.5, Finale 25, Dorico 4, Musescore 4
Windows 11

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:22 am

If you use the third-from-the left of the "four triangles" to adjust the position of the figures, then that is a per-system adjustment. Moving a measure onto a new system means the figures in the measure will take on the setting of the system. That's the opposite of what you describe, but I've just tested it and that's how it works for me.

If you've individually adjusting the anchor points of the chords, those will stay with the chord. Individual edits can be cleared with the Clear key, if you have one, or right-click and select "Remove Manual Adjustments".

Harpsi

Post by Harpsi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Yes, that's what happens for me too, but this is not the issue. I will try to be clearer.

I splitted one system into two. All the following systems now have the chord positions of the previous system where they resided before. I would like to shift the chord positioning to the right system. Maybe I am not explaining this properly. Is it understandable?
Windows 11

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Finale handles changes to the number of systems quite poorly: you are right that if you create an extra system in the middle of your piece, everything after that is now "one-off".
The Full TG Tools has plug-ins to split and join systems that minimize the disruption.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:02 pm

As far as I know, it is not possible to shift the chord baseline adjustments from system to system. As you pointed out, the symbols retain the positioning of the system on which they were originally entered.

I'd suggest you do not use the positioning triangles to adjust chord baselines, or lyric baselines for that matter. Just enter all of the chords or figured bass. Once the layout has been finalized, adjust the positioning on each system by selecting the Chord (Lyric) Tool. Draw a "lasso" around the symbols to select them all and use the up or down arrow key to nudge them up or down.

Maybe you can use this technique to fix the file you are working on now. As previously suggested, select all symbols on a system and press Clear (Backspace) to clear any manual adjustments.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Harpsi

Post by Harpsi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:30 pm

Thank you both for your input.

Yes Buontempi, I used the split function of TGTools, it preserves lots of things but not the chord positioning.
I will take your advice N Grossingink and stop using the triangles. I think I might have read about that approach earlier but never incorporated it in my workflow. Thanks.
Windows 11