OT: DTP App recommendation

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:44 am

Tangential to Finale, but many people here may use/need DTP software for title pages, or for placing exported graphics from Finale onto pages of other material. I've come across an app called VivaDesigner, which looks like a pretty decent DTP app, with professional capabilities. It has a free version, and paid-for products that start at €109. (€10 off if you've got an Adobe or Quark serial number!)

Windows AND Mac.
http://www.viva.us/en/products/desktop- ... op-version

I have no affiliation with the company! :wink: Despite over 20 years in publishing, I've never heard of it, though the outfit does look pretty high-end and long-standing.

I'm looking at thing to replace my ageing Creative Suite software: this looks like it will fill the InDesign-shaped gap. EDIT: Wow, looks like it will import ID files!

If you're on a Mac, then Serif Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo are excellent and cheap alternatives to Illustrator and Photoshop. (Windows versions are planned, but they've slipped several schedules.)
Last edited by BuonTempi on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:08 pm

BuonTempi wrote: I'm looking at thing to replace my ageing Creative Suite software...
Aren't we all? Way more features, a complicated interface and subscription-only pricing — what's not to hate?

I don't think this is off-topic at all. Rather, if there was a tangental space, that's where it should go ... but there isn't so I'm glad you posted.

Anyway, I normally use Photoshop Elements for these tasks. v.6 is still my favorite but got a little temperamental with Sierra (it won't install without disabling SIP). Anyway, I recently bought v.15 through one of the sales that Adobe regularly runs—it's ok.

Right now, it's $69.99; bundled with Premier Elements is $99.99. If you have access to an EDU discount, it's quite inexpensive.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

It works for my modest needs; I don't know about yours.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:29 pm

Affinity Photo is a decent match for full Photoshop, and available on the Mac App Store for about what you pay Adobe for one month.

I'm also using GhostScript to replace my Acrobat and Distiller needs - with GUI scripted front ends. Dreamweaver is harder to find a decent alternative, but it still works.

CS6 does still work on Sierra, but it's only a matter of time. The new APFS filing system will be case-sensitive by default, and Adobe's apps are known not to work with that.

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:06 pm

BuonTempi wrote:...The new APFS filing system will be case-sensitive by default, and Adobe's apps are known not to work with that.
Something else I'm not looking forward to...
Mike Halloran

MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:15 pm

BuonTempi wrote:I'm also using GhostScript to replace my Acrobat and Distiller needs - with GUI scripted front ends.
Where do you find that? I thought that Ghostscript for the Mac pretty much died out in 2011.

I'm still using Acrobat Pro X — and am praying it still works in the next OS.
Mike Halloran

MrAIA
Finale Version: Finale V26.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by MrAIA » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Until Affinity Publisher comes out you could consider Serif PagePlus as well. Very robust, easy to learn, and a great community to learn from. If you're interested you can go to Serif "dot" com and pick PagePlus from the "Legacy Range" drop down.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:34 pm

MrAIA wrote:Until Affinity Publisher comes out you could consider Serif PagePlus as well. Very robust, easy to learn, and a great community to learn from. If you're interested you can go to Serif "dot" com and pick PagePlus from the "Legacy Range" drop down.
They want money for unsupported, "legacy" software...? :roll: If I'm looking for a replacement product for the legacy Adobe products I already have, it's not going to be another unsupported legacy app!

For less than the price of Page Plus, there are some cheap and cheerful basic apps in the Mac App Store -- not professional by any means, but OK for knocking up a title page -- like iStudio Publisher or Swift Publisher. I dare say there are some similar for Windows. There's even Scribus, which offers all the masochism of Quark Xpress for zero cost.

From the Affinty forums, it seems that Affinity Publisher (which would be welcome) has been delayed or postponed several times. It was originally flagged to be out in 2016.

I've been trialling the free version of VivaDesigner, and it works quite well. There are a few glaring holes, such as no spellchecker, which the purchased version overcomes.

MrAIA
Finale Version: Finale V26.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by MrAIA » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Fair enough, BT. I haven't tried any of the others you list, and to be fair if your needs aren't too terribly complicated any decent word processor (Word, LibreOffice, etc.) can create a cover page with text and graphics.

As for when Affinity Publisher will be released ... that's the question on everyone's mind! It took them quite a while to bring out Designer on Windows (after they released it on the Mac) but when they did it was done right. Hopefully it won't be too much longer!

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:57 pm

BuonTempi wrote:... There's even Scribus, which offers all the masochism of Quark Xpress for zero cost. ...
Yikes! So, you're saying that it's worth every penny?

Thanks for the heads-up. I do value my time.
Mike Halloran