Where does TGTools (still) help?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

fredvandoren
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by fredvandoren » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:22 pm

I just downloaded the full version of TG Tools. After finding the tremolo tool included with Finale 25 especially useful, I wanted to see what else it offers. It looks like the program was last updated for Finale 2000 - yes? Finale has come a long way since then. So for you veteran users, what are the TG features that still add something helpful?

Fred Van Doren
Finale 25
Mac

JW Plugins
Patterson Beams
GPO5

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:56 pm

If you compare the lite TG Tremolo plugin included with Finale to the one in the full TG Tools, you'll find the full version has a few more options for displaying tremolos on stemmed notes. Whether or not this is worth purchasing the full version is debatable, since you can manually modify any tremolo produced by the "lite" version to produce what you want.

I've been using the full TG Tools for 15 years and continue to use it often. Even though many TG operations can be accomplished with the JW plugins, I find the TG interface simpler to navigate. I use "Replace Pitches", "Special Modifications", "Modify Slurs" and "Transfer Part Layout" the most.

However, the one TG plugin that is unique and most valuable for me is the "Align" feature for dynamics and hairpins. A lite version is included with Finale, but the full version works with predefined hotkeys. Just select the measures you want to align and press one of 3 hotkeys to "align", "align and move up" or "align and move down". I use these dozens if not hundreds of times each day. Map the hotkeys to a single F key with a macro program for maximum efficiency and speed. Take a look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lns4m-k4ykw

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:32 pm

It seems to be dead in the water as far as new development is concerned, but he does keep it working with new versions. I use the TG Tools Cue Notes plug-in. It has a few more features than the MakeMusic plug-in, and I think the latter has in fact been broken in some respects for several years. I also use "Combine Rests in Layers." I think Finale now has this built in, but I seem to remember there's something wrong with it in certain circumstances. The other TG Tools plug-in I use is one which moves accents away from slur tips. (Perhaps JW Change can do this? I don't know.)

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:26 pm

For it to work on Finale 25, Tobias must have re-written it for 64-bit.

One of things I think is most useful (or rather, most needed to be in Finale by default) is the split/join systems, as that's currently the only way to avoid your whole layout getting thrown off by one if you decide to merge or split systems. But even then, there are some things that are still off.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Yes! I've used that a couple of times. Thankfully, I don't usually get into the predicament.

"Rewritten" may be overstating it. Probably more like recompiling, with a few tweaks. I'm not sure why the process is causing JW so much effort.